Author Topic: MACV-SOG: THE COVERT SPECIAL OPERATIONS UNIT YOU’VE NEVER HEARD OF  (Read 340 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
MACV-SOG: THE COVERT SPECIAL OPERATIONS UNIT YOU’VE NEVER HEARD OF

Stavros Atlamazoglou | June 9, 2021

If a conflict in U.S. history ever came with baggage, it has to be the Vietnam War. Although the service and actions of the millions of Americans who fought in Southeast Asia have been slowly recognized, the unpopularity of the war at the time, and for many years after, left a scar in American society. This unpopularity also meant that extraordinary men and units, such as the Military Assistance Command Vietnam-Studies and Observations Group (MACV-SOG), have fallen through the cracks of America’s consciousness, and are only known to a few old comrades, their families, and a handful of military history enthusiasts.

The innocuous-sounding MACV-SOG is such an organization, although its obscurity also has to do with its highly secretive nature.

SOG operators pulled off some of the most impressive special operations of the entire war; including some that seemed to defy logic itself. As successive U.S. administrations claimed that no American troops were outside South Vietnam, several hundreds of special operations troops fought against all odds, and against an enemy who always enjoyed a numerical advantage that sometimes exceeded a ratio of 1:1000. 

The most secret unit you’ve never heard of

Activated in 1964, MACV-SOG was a covert joint special operations organization that conducted cross-border operations in Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, and North Vietnam.

Composed of Army Special Forces operators, Navy SEALs, Recon Marines, and Air Commandos, SOG also worked closely with the Intelligence Community, often running missions at the request of the CIA...

Excerpt: Rest at headline link
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 03:50:57 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

Re: MACV-SOG: THE COVERT SPECIAL OPERATIONS UNIT YOU’VE NEVER HEARD OF
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 04:04:56 pm »
I hope these stories get out before another 50 years goes by..
These folks deserve it...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 11:50:55 pm »
I hope these stories get out before another 50 years goes by..
These folks deserve it...

@EdinVA

They are out and there is no putting them back in the box.

It WAS awkward at the time,though. Tough to get any valor awards higher than a Bronze Star with a V device because the citation had to list the area the action took place in. Since we rarely operated in VN except for training missions like Recon Team Leader's School,if you were put in for a Silver Star it would be denied by the people back in the DA because they would have no record of US troops operating there.

LTC Robert Howard,for example,was put in for a Medal of Honor on THREE separate occasions in less than a year,and turned down twice by DA because they had no record of any combat action in that grid area on that day.

He was acting as the Recon Company 1st Sgt when I first met him,and he was an E-6. The CO put him in that position to keep him out of the field so he wouldn't get killed before he finally got the MoH he deserved. When he did get it,he also got a battlefield promotion to 1st Lt.

Bob was one of the nicest guys you could ever hope to meet anywhere,and as long as he thought
you were doing your duty to the best of your ability,you called him "Bob". If he didn't think you were doing your duty,you hid from him until the airplane arrived to take you back to Nha Trang for re-assignment. Seriously.

There are a BUNCH of SOG books out there now,many actually written by the SOG soldiers themselves.

One of the best,IMHO,was written by Franklin D.Miller,another FOB-2 MoH awardee. Believe it or not,he served 5 years running SOG recon missions into Laos and Cambodia before he got shot up so badly they had to assign him office or training jobs.

The title of his book is "Reflections of a Warrior",and I can't recommend it too highly.

And Miller and Bob wern't the only two MoH awardees at FOB-2. I once stood in formation there,and there were 9 current or future MoH awardees standing in that Recon Company formation out of the 30 men assigned to recon company.

Ahhhh,but those were wild and heady days! Imagine for a moment being in the army,and not having ANYBODY telling you what to do or how to do it,other than your team leader.

Imagine for a moment being on a recon team with a Sgt E-5 being the team leader,and a Captain 0-3 being the radio operator. And make no mistake about it,the buck sgt WAS the team leader,and the Captain was well aware of it and was happy to be the radio op.

Or in one case,a recon team with a SSG E-6 as the team leader,and the camp commander,a LTC 0-5
carrying his radio for him. Yeah,it really happened. HOW it happened is the LTC was our camp commander and even had a Silver Star from Korea,but he was a tanker in Korea,so he didn't have a Combat Infantryman Badge,and desperatly wanted one. So Joe offered to take him out with his team,which pretty much meant there was going to be combat. Joe just LOVED firefights.

One of the recon team members "side jobs" was to serve as a radio relay operator from a mountain top (call sign Leghorn) in Laos,and relay sitreps and other messages back to the FOB at Kontum. It just so happened that I was on radio duty at Leghorn,and was receiving the noon sitrep from Joe,via the LTC on the radio. Suddenly,I heard a brief burst of AK fire,and the radio went dead.

I later found out that what happened was that some NVA counter-recon tracking unit had been following Joe's team,and caught up when they stopped for the noon mean. When they opened fire,one of the shots severed the microphone cord.

Joe's team,one of the most experienced in the business,managed to open fire and suppress the incoming fire long enough for them to haul ass. They got out later because every team,and usually every American on a team had an US Air Force emergency radio we stole from the Air Force,and when you pulled out the antenna on one of those babies,every aircraft in range thinks a USAF plane has been shot down,and here they come to the rescue at maximum speed.

So,Joe gave them a brief rundown on what happened and why they couldn't continue the mission,and the helicopters were sent out to join half the US Air Force circling the team and laying down suppressive cannon fire and bombs,and the team was pulled.

There can be NO doubt our good Colonel earned his CIB,either.

BUT.....,let's just say there were some people at the base camp and little higher more than a little worried before they got out clean.

Both Bob and Miller are dead now. Bob died several years ago from infected blood he recieved in blood transfusions in VN,and Bob died of cancer.

Bob Howard was one of the finest men AND finest soliders that ever lived. AFAIAC,every school child should know who he was and some of the things he did.

And this takes NOTHING away from Miller or any of the other MoH winners. I am positive they would say the same thing about Bob if they were still around to say it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 11:57:11 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 12:16:03 am »
@EdinVA

They are out and there is no putting them back in the box.

And this takes NOTHING away from Miller or any of the other MoH winners. I am positive they would say the same thing about Bob if they were still around to say it.
@sneakypete

Great story about great people doing a very difficult job....
Are you aware the Library of Congress is collecting these types of stories? 
https://www.loc.gov/vets/

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 03:40:15 am »
What do you think?  Old information.
------------------------
Kevin Hogg is Prime Suspect in Parkland Shooting
February 27, 2018

(David Hogg and killer-trainer father Kevin)

"The evidence available thus far from the Valentine's day massacre has been mounting against the Hogg family as undercover accomplices and beneficiaries in the clandestine operation that killed 17 students and teachers. David Hogg has zero right to talk about "gun control" when his father works for the most murderous part of the assault-rifle industry, the killer-training program known as Cubic Simulation Systems, a nice name for Murder Inc. Version 2."

Hogg works for a company that simulates terror attacks among other kinds of firefights.

"I have just two questions for the Hoggs and the boss at Cubic: Among your assault weapon toting trainees, which ones did Parkland? Or was the job contracted out to your company reps with Israeli Defense Force (IDF), maybe some Shomrim reservists down at Chabad House? "

Hogg-Tied to the Gunfire at Parkland School Pt 5
by Yoichi Shimatsu
Exclusive to Rense.com
(Excerpt by henrymakow.com)

The Hoggs are lying hustlers and profiteers from the worst gun violence in the world from war-torn Iraq to downtown USA. Here it will be shown that the father, Kevin Hogg, and his employer belong on the most-wanted suspect list for the Parkland school gunshot deaths. American citizens have every right to own guns to protect themselves from the lethal deceptions of the Hoggs. Mothers and fathers of Marjorie Stoneman Douglas students, do not let your children follow these Pied Pipers to their dishonor and destruction................more...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 04:22:43 am »
@sneakypete

Great story about great people doing a very difficult job....
Are you aware the Library of Congress is collecting these types of stories? 
https://www.loc.gov/vets/

@EdinVA

No,but I don't have any stories to tell that someone else hasn't already published.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 04:25:49 am »
David Steele, ex. C.I.A. says,  most of our attacks are false flags and created by our own government.  THAT I BELIEVE.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 04:44:44 am »
David Steele, ex. C.I.A. says,  most of our attacks are false flags and created by our own government.  THAT I BELIEVE.

@LegalAmerican

So do I. It is called "False Flag Operations".

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 05:14:19 am »
@LegalAmerican

So do I. It is called "False Flag Operations".

:thumbsup: