Author Topic: Why This Singer Is the Only Woman Buried In Fort Bragg's Special Forces Cemetery  (Read 276 times)

rangerrebew

Why This Singer Is the Only Woman Buried In Fort Bragg's Special Forces Cemetery

Military.com | By Blake Stilwell

Martha Raye isn't a name heard much these days. The comic actress and singer was a star of stage and screen who worked in show business for around 60 years by the time of her death in 1994.

In her radio days, she was known for her performances on Al Jolson's "Cafe Trocadero." On television, she was best known for "The Martha Raye Show," which featured a string of notable guest stars. She was probably best known for her USO work during World War II, the Korean War and the war in Vietnam, where she entertained troops so often, she earned the nickname "Colonel Maggie."

Raye was born Margie Reed in Montana in 1916. By the age of 18, she was already on film, performing on the screen and radio in the 1930s. When the United States entered World War II, Raye was more than ready to perform for the troops. Her first stop came in 1942 when she was sent to England. From there, she took her USO show to North Africa with three of her friends, Carole Landis, Kay Francis and Mitzi Mayfair.

https://www.military.com/history/why-singer-only-woman-buried-fort-braggs-special-forces-cemetery.html

rangerrebew

I can't imagine today's military naming a non gay to anything, but there you are. :wtf:

Offline ironhorsedriver

Martha Raye was a true Patriot! I've always had great respect for her. If there is a Valhalla for warriors, she's there entertaining the troops along with Ann Margret, another great woman.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Martha Raye was a true Patriot! I've always had great respect for her. If there is a Valhalla for warriors, she's there entertaining the troops along with Ann Margret, another great woman.

I concur @ironhorsedriver Seen them both up close in person.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
"They ask so little and give so much," she said during the Vietnam War. "The least we can do back home here is give them the love, the respect and the dignity that they, our flag and our country deserve."

You never heard that sentiment from communist strumpets like Fonda, a true chip of old dad. It seems that patriotism and respect for those in service first started being beat out of our children around the time of the Korean conflict. Cripes even my parents who came from Hungary made sure we understood love of country and respect for those who served..........you don't find that much in the 'migrants' the democrats are flooding America with.

I'm old enough to remember Martha Raye movies and on TV, she was a very funny woman but I never new that wasn't her greatest achievement.

Thanks for finding and posting this @rangerrebew  :beer:

Offline LegalAmerican

I concur @ironhorsedriver Seen them both up close in person.

Ann-Margaret has passed away? 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I knew who it would be before I even clicked on the link.

She spent a LOT of time visiting with SF troops at remote A-camps in VN,and in at least one instance she refused to  leave when the camp came under attack because besides being Martha Raye ,she was also an actual Colonel in the Nurse Corps. She wanted to stay to treat the wounded.

Oh,yeah. She also wore a Green Beret as a part of her uniform,and AFAIK,NOBODY ever said a word in protest. And trust me,no other woman at the time would have EVER been allowed to get away with that.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 12:28:55 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Ann-Margaret has passed away?

Not that I'm aware of.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline ironhorsedriver

No Ann hasn't yet. It was really meant to show  that I classed her the same as I do Martha. Should have clarified that!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
No Ann hasn't yet. It was really meant to show  that I classed her the same as I do Martha. Should have clarified that!

They were both top notch American patriots and I'm sure Ann still is!

- J. R. R. Tolkien