Author Topic: A quick guide to post-normal science  (Read 129 times)

rangerrebew

A quick guide to post-normal science
« on: November 18, 2021, 04:07:08 pm »

A quick guide to post-normal science
October 19, 2021   

By Silvio Funtowicz

Post-normal science comes into play for decision-making on policy issues where facts are uncertain, values in dispute, stakes high and decisions urgent.

A good example of a problem requiring post-normal science is the actions that need to be taken to mitigate the effects of sea level rise consequent on global climate change. All the causal elements are uncertain in the extreme, at stake is much of the built environment and the settlement patterns of people, what to save and what to sacrifice is in dispute, and the window for decision-making is shrinking. The COVID-19 pandemic is another instance of a post-normal science problem. The behaviour of the current and emerging variants of the virus is uncertain, the values of socially intrusive remedies are in dispute, and obviously stakes are high and decisions urgent.

In such contexts of policy making, normal science (in the Kuhnian sense, see Kuhn 1962) is still necessary, but no longer sufficient. We can locate post-normal science in relation to the more traditional problem-solving strategies in the figure below. This has two axes:

https://i2insights.org/2021/10/19/guide-to-post-normal-science/

Offline Kamaji

Re: A quick guide to post-normal science
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 04:19:13 pm »
WADR, "post-normal science" sounds like a fig-leaf for pretending that one's political objectives are "settled science".  Please correct me if I'm in error.