Author Topic: Narconon Goes After Country Music  (Read 422 times)

Online mountaineer

Narconon Goes After Country Music
« on: November 17, 2021, 08:15:34 pm »
Narconon Goes After Country Music
Mike Rinder
Nov. 17, 2021

Scientology and its front organizations (like Narconon and CCHR) live in a world disconnected from reality. They seem oblivious to the absurdity of things they say and positions they take.

Narconon is now beginning to sound like prohibitionists, targeting county music for “romanticizing alcohol.”
Unfortunately, while contemporary country music stars continue to produce great music year after year, there are increasing incidences of romanticizing alcohol in country music lyrics, romanticizing it, glamorizing it, or even construing alcohol with happy times, carefree adventures, and the ‘good life.’

Given the harm and danger that can come from consuming alcohol, fans of country music should be mindful of the increasing prevalence of alcohol in their favorite genre. And if the alcohol side of enjoying country music begins to take over, they need to seek help as soon as possible.
... Narconon also cite some lyrics — which is about as far down the rabbit hole as you can go. These lyrics drive people to alcoholism?????

And just for some context, here are a few snippets of famous country music songs that put a fair amount of emphasis on alcohol:

You’re as smooth as Tennessee whiskey

You’re as sweet as strawberry wine

You’re as warm as a glass of brandy

– Tennessee Whiskey: Chris Stapleton

Blame the whiskey on the beer

Blame the beer on the whiskey

Blame the mornin’ on the night

– It Ain’t My Fault: Brothers Osborne
Mike Rinder's blog

Anyone who saw Leah Remini's series, "Scientology and the Aftermath," on A&E will recognize Mike as the former spokesperson for Scientology. Having left the "church," he's revealed the many abuses carried out on orders of the head honcho, David Miscavige, against those considered unfriendly to Scientology.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Narconon Goes After Country Music
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 09:34:29 pm »
Wasn't "Tennessee Whiskey" a George Jones song long before Stapleton covered it?

I mean, I get the point, but trying to stop people from drinking alcohol in this country is like trying to get them to stop killing their own young in the womb. There's too many people dead-set against ever listening to that idea that it will never succeed. Self-destructive behavior is a national trait in this country.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 10:52:13 pm »
Wasn't "Tennessee Whiskey" a George Jones song long before Stapleton covered it?

I mean, I get the point, but trying to stop people from drinking alcohol in this country is like trying to get them to stop killing their own young in the womb. There's too many people dead-set against ever listening to that idea that it will never succeed. Self-destructive behavior is a national trait in this country.

Yes, it was a George Jones song first. Personally, I think George did it much better.
Let it burn.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 11:08:19 pm »
You guys should watch leah remini's show on scientology, it's pretty amazing.

Online rustynail

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 11:43:32 pm »
'Well, I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison'.......

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 12:22:48 am »
That's how I ended up following Mike Rinder and Leah on twitter.

Online goatprairie

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 07:32:06 pm »
Considering how awful country music has been for the last forty years maybe more writers and "artists" should start drinking more on the slim hope it might improve the product.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 08:37:50 pm »
Yeah, bullcrap.

First of all, Tennessee Whiskey is about a guy crawling OUT of the bottle for the love of a woman. Looking for love in 'all the same old places' leaves the author with the realization that 'the bottom of the bottle's always dry'...

So it most certainly does NOT romanticize alcohol.

The same with the Brother's Ozbourne's 'Ain't My Fault'... The guy is all jacked up and in denial...

So the examples given are poor, though I could certainly point to better examples. But for every drinking song and party song you can find, you will also find songs about the danger therein, and many many songs pointing folks to right living and God. So the OP is wrought in shallow water.

Offline verga

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 07:35:52 pm »
I knew a guy that ended up joining "Sea Org" They screwed him over royally. I was on the fringes, but got out before I went all stupid (Thank God).
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 07:40:57 pm »
I knew a guy that ended up joining "Sea Org" They screwed him over royally. I was on the fringes, but got out before I went all stupid (Thank God).
After everything I saw on Leah Remini's program, I'm so glad whenever I hear of anyone who managed to get out of SeaOrg or the other Scientology divisions.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 08:09:47 pm »
Yes, it was a George Jones song first. Personally, I think George did it much better.

That was my first thought, too.  Gotta love The Possum.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra