Author Topic: I Had Never Seen the Impact of War Until I Spoke With Those Who Waged It  (Read 67 times)

rangerrebew

I Had Never Seen the Impact of War Until I Spoke With Those Who Waged It

11 Nov 2021
The War Horse | By Jessica Wojdak

Jessica Wojdak attends Berwick Academy. When she is not playing sports or skiing, she loves to hang out with her family and friends. She hopes to go into education or medicine and wants to explore journalism as well.

The opinions expressed in this op-ed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Military.com. If you would like to submit your own commentary, please send your article to opinions@military.com for consideration.

"How does it make you feel when somebody says, ‘Thank you for your service'?" Once those words rolled off the tip of my tongue, I stared into the Zoom space on my laptop screen. I don't know what I expected in response from this Vietnam War veteran.

And then, after I looked around the room and fixed my hair during the awkward moment of silence that felt like an eternity but was probably only a handful of seconds, he responded.

"It makes me feel taken aback."

https://www.military.com/daily-news/opinions/2021/11/11/i-had-never-seen-impact-of-war-until-i-spoke-those-who-waged-it.html