Author Topic: The First (and Only) Law of Robotic Warfare  (Read 63 times)

rangerrebew

The First (and Only) Law of Robotic Warfare
« on: November 17, 2021, 01:58:13 pm »

The First (and Only) Law of Robotic Warfare
By Sorin Matei
November 17, 2021
Rod Long

Robotic weapons that can autonomously identify the enemy, place firepower in position, and assist in targeting are almost a reality.[1] War waged by intelligent machines conducted by humans ensconced in bunkers or roaming from stand-off command centers at sea or in air can alter the face of the battlefield. Such wars can change the very definition of conflict.

Will the future autonomous fighting systems be a boon or an ultimate threat to humanity?

Change will start with the possibility that vulnerabilities in enemy configuration may be better and faster diagnosed with machine learning algorithms, which can also more accurately decide if the enemy is where we expect it to be and in what strength. Open flanks and weak points can be dynamically discovered using models that predict movement in time and space. Finally, optimal moments of attack or withdrawal can be determined using machine learning, a method that based on past experience can identify what to do next. This second revolution in military affairs will not stop here, though. There is the clear possibility that the collection of data analytic tools will make the next and necessary step: full autonomy.

Will future autonomous fighting systems be a boon or an ultimate threat to humanity? I argue that while real, the danger is not that the machines will rebel, but that they will be too obedient to their programmers, destroying each other and their creators. To avoid the possibility of Mutual Assured Destruction re-enacted by robotic warfare, it is in the interest of all combatants to program their war machines to follow the Golden Rule, instilling in them the fear of their own annihilation. This might make the war robots less precise but being more discriminating will make it easier to blend with human decision making. This solution is necessary philosophically and from a military doctrine perspective. The full technical implementation – which will take decades to solve – is another problem that is not the main point of this article. I do propose, however, that a way to do it is to use N-decision making routines, which I briefly discuss at the article’s end.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2021/11/17/the_first_and_only_law_of_robotic_warfare_804004.html

Offline Kamaji

Re: The First (and Only) Law of Robotic Warfare
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 01:58:56 pm »
One word:  Skynet

Online DefiantMassRINO

Re: The First (and Only) Law of Robotic Warfare
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 03:18:39 pm »

Divide by zero error.  General protection fault.  Blue screen of death.  !TILT!

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.