Author Topic: New York rejects two new gas power plants as ‘inconsistent’ with climate law  (Read 237 times)

rangerrebew

New York rejects two new gas power plants as ‘inconsistent’ with climate law
The decision marks a milestone in an ongoing debate over the role of natural gas in net-zero plans.

In the lead-up to the United Nations climate summit known as COP26, New York state officials made a landmark decision to deny permits for two proposed natural gas power plants after determining they would be inconsistent with the state’s greenhouse gas emissions targets and were not needed for grid reliability. The decisions, announced by the Department of Environmental Conservation, or DEC, last week, mark the first time the state has wielded its 2019 climate law to reject proposals for new electricity generation.

“We must shift to a renewable future,” DEC commissioner Basil Seggos wrote in a tweet announcing the decisions, tagging #COP26.

After the Biden administration’s recent failure to pass a law designed to move the power sector toward the goal of 100 percent clean electricity by 2035, the decisions in New York signal that state-level climate laws could prove to be a key alternative tool to get there.

https://grist.org/energy/new-york-rejects-two-new-gas-power-plants-as-inconsistent-with-climate-law/

Offline Kamaji

Oh brother.  Electricity is going to be in even shorter supply.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Basil Seggos?

Sounds like the Spaghetti sauce my mother used to make.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Hell, even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.  Even if "temporary", CA at least acknowledged the need...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-19/california-to-build-temporary-gas-plants-to-avoid-blackouts
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
A couple a years ago, natural gas was the clean enviro friendly fuel.

Man these dipshits have lost it, and I hope they freeze their asses off.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

There should be some fun blackouts in NYC soon.

Online mountaineer

How many people will freeze to death this winter? Are we taking bets yet?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How many people will freeze to death this winter? Are we taking bets yet?
Too many.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Too many.

Texas is a heck of lot a warmer than NY, and remember how many died when the grid broke down last winter?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Texas is a heck of lot a warmer than NY, and remember how many died when the grid broke down last winter?
Yep. I'm in North Dakota.
 I know two people who froze to death, despite precautions against the climate here.. I would not wish that fate on anyone. But I think the next Holdomor will be over energy, not food.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis