Author Topic: Kyle Rittenhouse Jury Selected – Trial Begins Tuesday  (Read 21734 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Kyle Rittenhouse Jury Selected – Trial Begins Tuesday
« on: November 02, 2021, 01:27:11 pm »
Legal Ressurection by Andrew Branca November 1, 2021

Live coverage of the entire trial at Legal Insurrection.

UPDATE: Between when I started writing this post and when it was published, media reports are that individual voir dire completed today off-camera, and opening statements will happen tomorrow morning!

Highlights of today’s voir dire include:

•   The defense voir dire suggesting that Kyle Rittenhouse might testify at trial

•   Judge Schroeder contextualizing juror security concerns by noting that even judges hardly ever get assassinated

•   A juror excused because Second Amendment beliefs would not allow impartiality

•   A juror excused because hatred of AR rifles would not allow impartiality

•   A juror excused because she understood “Thou shalt not kill” to be literal

•   Judge Schroeder instructing jurors on “semi-automatic” versus “machine gun”

•   And much, much more! So let’s dive right in!

Rittenhouse Jury Selection Process

Trial Judge Bruce Schroeder has decided that he wants to end up with a seated jury of 20, to include 12 jurors who will deliberate a verdict, and 8 alternates.  Which specific jurors are alternates will not be determined until just before deliberations.

Judge Schroeder has also allowed each side to have 7 peremptory strikes, for a total of 14 strikes.

So, the Judge is looking to put together a group of 34 “qualified” jurors from which 14 can be struck, leaving the goal of 20 jurors to be seated.

-----

Outlining the Charges and General Narrative of Events

Judge Schroeder welcomed the prospective jurors, actually starting the day with an impromptu game of Jeopardy as everybody got settled.

He then named the defendant, Kyle Rittenhouse, and read out the charges against him, with a brief factual description of each, carefully noting that each was at present merely an allegation by the state.  These charges consisted of the six criminal charges I overviewed and analyzed in yesterday’s post (“Rittenhouse Trial: What to Expect As Trial Starts Monday”), with an additional seventh charge of violating curfew—this last charge, however, appears non-criminal in nature, as the state is required to prove it only be clear and convincing evidence.   Each criminal charge must, of course, be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, or the jury is obliged to acquit on that charge.

-----

Judge Schroeder Repeatedly References Founders

Before beginning general voir dire, Judge Schroeder had some introductory remarks for the jury about the importance of jury selection, as is commonly the case at the start of jury selection.  Perhaps less commonly, Schroeder went beyond the typical “it’s a civic duty” spiel, to also specifically reference the Founding Fathers, as well as ancient Greek and Roman history, as well as the period we used to refer to as the Dark Ages when I was a schoolkid.

Judge Schroeder noted that the Founders were very specific about putting a right to a jury trial in the Constitution, and not merely any jury but a fair and impartial jury of one’s peers.   He also noted that the Founders risked everything in doing so, including their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred Honor, quoting from the Declaration of Independence.

-----

General Voir Dire & Witness Lists

Many Prospective Jurors Had Formed an Opinion on Guilt

------

Might Kyle Testify In His Own Behalf?

Interestingly, Chirafisi also asked the prospective jurors whether, should Kyle choose to testify, that they would find his testimony less credible simply because he was charged in this case?  No one in the group said they would, which is not surprising. What is surprising is the question itself—because it suggests that the defense is holding open the option that Kyle himself may take the witness stand and testify in his own behalf, always a high-risk gambit.

----

TOMORROW: More LIVE Coverage of the Trial Proceedings

Remember

You carry a gun so you’re hard to kill.

Know the law so you’re hard to convict.

Stay safe!

–Andrew

Attorney Andrew F. Branca
Law of Self Defense LLC

More: https://legalinsurrection.com/2021/11/rittenhouse-jury-selection-day-1-defense-hints-that-kyle-might-testify/

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Kyle Rittenhouse Jury Selected – Trial Begins Tuesday
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 03:45:17 pm »
WATCH LIVE: Kyle Rittenhouse trial

Atlanta Journal-Constitution
The trial begins for Kyle Rittenhouse, the Illinois man charged with homicide after he fatally shot two men and wounded a third during street protests in Wisconsin two days after the police shooting of Jacob Blake. (Courtesy Court TV and The Associated Press)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JiAmPMscwA

Offline mortarman

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 01:06:52 am »
Looked like to me that not only was the DA outright lying in his opening statement butt he was trying to dictate how Rittenhouse's defense should be run.

:pop41:
The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 08:25:07 pm »
John Cardillo
@johncardillo
32m
REPORT: FBI Lost HD Rittenhouse Video, Never Told The Defense It Existed
Another day, another instance of the FBI “losing” exculpatory evidence and violating Brady.
Daily Caller

John Cardillo
@johncardillo
Same FBI that mobilized a team of agents to find Ashley Biden's diary to coverup Biden's behavior concealed exculpatory evidence that would have made it impossible to even charge Rittenhouse let alone prosecute him.
Still not one "rank and file" whistleblower.
Abolish the FBI
2:57 PM · Nov 7, 2021
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 08:28:20 pm »
Looked like to me that not only was the DA outright lying in his opening statement butt he was trying to dictate how Rittenhouse's defense should be run.

:pop41:
The DA looks like a total idiot - at the rate he's going the defense won't have to call any witnesses, the prosecution's will do just fine.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 08:30:42 pm »
Do we have any threats to riot yet in the event of a 'not guilty' verdict?
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 08:33:44 pm »
Do we have any threats to riot yet in the event of a 'not guilty' verdict?
Well, there's this:
John Curtis
@Johnmcurtis
George Floyd’s nephew, Cortez Rice, makes a claim that he knows people taking photos of jurors during the Kyle Rittenhouse trial in Kenosha, Wisconsin. His goal is to dox jurors if they do not convict.
8:46 AM · Nov 7, 2021

https://twitter.com/Johnmcurtis/status/1457343779833360389

Online LMAO

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 08:36:51 pm »
It appears the  prosecution’s case is crumbling. But we also saw this in the Derek Chauvin  trial and it didn’t matter

Emotional mobs are in charge of the criminal justice system now. The part where the prosecution has to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that a defendant is guilty is outdated.
Facebook and Twitter outrage is all that’s needed today

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2021, 11:05:07 pm »
Turns out this clown isn't really St. George of Floyd's nephew, just an acquaintance or friend.
Nov 7, 2021 3:07 PM EST
WATCH: George Floyd's nephew THREATENS jurors in Rittenhouse case
Cortez Rice, the nephew of the now-deceased George Floyd, had a chilling and threatening message for jurors currently sitting at the trial of Kyle Rittenhouse.
James Anthony

...     "I ain’t even gonna name the people that I know that’s up in the Kenosha trial. But it’s cameras in there. It’s definitely cameras up in there. There’s definitely people taking pictures of the juries and everything like that," said Rice in a video.

"We know what’s going on, so we need the same results, man. We need the same results," added Rice, who went on to name a list of people for whom he demands "justice."

Rittenhouse is currently being tried for six charges in the connection with the shooting death of two people and the injuring of another during riots in Kenosha, Wisconsin. Rittenhouse pleaded not guilty and his defense maintains the shootings were in self defense.    ....
The Post Millennial

Online LMAO

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 12:22:28 am »
I always thought it was a crime to manipulate jurors or threaten them into a verdict???????????

Where is  Garland? We saw this during the Floyd trial and now this. How many more?

Maybe he can pry himself away from going after parents to investigate this
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2021, 04:39:58 am »
Turns out this clown isn't really St. George of Floyd's nephew, just an acquaintance or friend.The Post Millennial

Probably member of BLM..and one of the rioters.  We are a TURD WORLD country now. 

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2021, 04:43:47 am »
I always thought it was a crime to manipulate jurors or threaten them into a verdict???????????

Where is  Garland? We saw this during the Floyd trial and now this. How many more?

Maybe he can pry himself away from going after parents to investigate this

This is what you get with your ANTI-TRUMP stance.  o.j. Simpson.  DERECK CHAUVIN...Now Kyle. AN INNOCENT CHILD!
GARLAND is dirt.  Don't you know?  Nothing about laws. We are now lawless country.  Don't act surprised.  I don't need any comment back from you.   

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2021, 09:05:18 am »
Turns out this clown isn't really St. George of Floyd's nephew, just an acquaintance or friend.The Post Millennial
Either way, he should be up on charges.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2021, 01:26:47 pm »
Possible Rittenhouse Trial Prosecution “Hail Mary”: Kyle Provoked the Attacks

Legal Insurrection by Andrew Branca 11/7/2021

https://legalinsurrection.com/2021/11/possible-rittenhouse-trial-prosecution-hail-mary-kyle-provoked-the-attacks/

Based on the evidence thus far, the state should not be allowed to argue “provocation,” but that doesn’t mean it won’t try as the rest of its case collapses.

After four days of testimony by State witnesses, the prosecution in the trial of Kyle Rittenhouse for intentional murder, reckless murder, attempted intentional murder and other felony charges has failed to show the court any substantive evidence that effectively attacks any of the four required elements for Kyle’s legal justification of self-defense.

This in a legal context where the State not only bears the burden to disprove self-defense generally, but to disprove self-defense beyond any reasonable doubt.

So if the State cannot effectively attack one of the core four elements of self-defense under Wisconsin law, and therefore have no prospect to a reasonable degree of legal certainty of disproving beyond a reasonable doubt Kyle’s claim of self-defense, and given that self-defense is a perfect defense against all the homicide charges against Kyle and demands an acquittal if not disproved beyond a reasonable doubt, then how is the State planning to obtain a conviction of Kyle on any of those homicide charges?

Well, it turns out that there’s a theoretical back-door strategy to attack Kyle’s claim of self-defense, and that’s to attempt to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Kyle provoked the attacks upon him, and lost the legal justification of self-defense as a result.

Provocation Under Wisconsin Self-Defense Law

It’s important to understand that the legal doctrine of provocation differs from the legal doctrine of “initial aggressor,” which we described before as how one loses the required self-defense element of Innocence.

The initial aggressor is the first person to use or threaten to use unlawful imminent force. He’s the person who, for example, throws the first punch.  That conduct loses him Innocence, and loses him self-defense.

The provoker is not the initial aggressor, is not the person who is the first to use or threaten to use unlawful imminent force. To the contrary, the provoker is someone who goads the other guy into being the initial aggressor.

There are variations in how this might be done, and we’ll explore those in a moment, but in the most basic sense he’s the person whose conduct would likely lead a reasonable person to lose their temper and throw a punch.

More at link.

Online LMAO

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2021, 01:33:42 pm »
Either way, he should be up on charges.

Who is going to charge him?

Nothing is going to happen to him and he knows it

Barry Goldwater

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 06:37:53 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2021, 09:09:12 pm »
As I said, the defense isn't gonna even have to expend the effort calling its own witnesses.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2021, 09:18:57 pm »
BREAKING: Prosecutor Hangs Head In Shame As Star Witness Admits He Was Only Shot AFTER Pointing Gun At Kyle Rittenhouse

"It wasn't until you pointed your gun at him, advanced on him, with your gun - now your hands down - pointed at him that he fired? Right?" Chorafisi asked. Grosskreutz responded, "Correct."

by Gabriel Keane   
November 8, 2021

more
https://nationalfile.com/breaking-prosecutor-hangs-head-in-shame-after-star-witness-admits-he-was-only-shot-after-pointing-gun-at-kyle-rittenhouse/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Hoodat

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2021, 09:43:31 pm »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-