Author Topic: Could landlocked south Texas help a backlogged US supply chain?  (Read 410 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Could landlocked south Texas help a backlogged US supply chain?
« on: November 02, 2021, 02:13:12 am »
The Guardian by Carlos Sanchez 11/1/2021

A Mexican highway that connects with Texas ports of entry might be an alternative to California water ports

An unusual event marking what organizers called “the start of the produce season” was recently held on the US side of an international port of entry connecting Mexico with Pharr, Texas. It was a different kind of ribbon-cutting ceremony, in front of a crowd of hundreds gathered beneath a large tent leading to the bridge connecting the United States and Mexico.

Local dignitaries from both sides of the border were given a fruit or vegetable imported from Mexico and asked to cut it, which they dutifully did to the delight of the crowd. Then came the free-for-all. The crowd was given bags and told to take what they wanted from a carefully staged backdrop of every type of fruit and vegetable that comes through this region. While this quaint tradition has been a mainstay of the region for years, this year may make the event more significant, asthe United States struggles with supply chain problems in the wake of the pandemic.

That’s because the produce-importing capacity of this landlocked port of entry could provide a solution that would help alleviate the problems that have been created by the backlog of ships waiting to offload cargo at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, which account for 40% of all shipping containers entering the US. When President Biden recently announced that the Los Angeles port would stay open 24 hours a day, seven days a week to alleviate the backlog, a total of 64 ships were berthed at the two ports and an additional 80 were parked in the Pacific waiting their turn to unload.

Experts are already predicting a Christmas shortage of certain goods, particularly those coming from Asia.

What does Mexican produce coming through a landlocked south Texas port have to do with this backlog? It may be the key to developing a new trade route that avoids California and uses Mexican ports to get into the US via south Texas. It may even show the potential for a new mode of transportation that could alleviate growing traffic problems on our nation’s highways.

The key is the newly remodeled Mexican Federal Highway 40, or the Carretera Interoceánica (Interoceanic Highway). This is a road that runs from near the Port of Mazatlán on the Pacific coast to Reynosa, Mexico, just across the border from several cities in south Texas and is connected by several ports of entry, including the Pharr International Bridge.

More: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/nov/01/south-texas-mexico-us-supply-chain

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Could landlocked south Texas help a backlogged US supply chain?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 02:18:59 am »
Mexicans just unloading the ships 'Muricans won't?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 02:26:44 am »
Why don't we simply stop buying from China?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 02:27:28 am »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 02:53:07 am »
I wonder what the highly-paid dockworkers in Los Angeles feel about Mexicans taking over their business?

America is broken if we have to depend upon foreigners to provide our services for us when American leaders refuse to
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 04:41:54 am »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 04:44:06 am »

The Long Beach/LA bypass...

Newsom and all that greenness could cost a lot of green in the end.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 04:44:53 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 05:25:54 am »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 07:30:45 am »

Although the fee is based on the number of containers, it can easily run half a million dollars for transit through the canal. Shippers have to be losing a fortune on these loads, and that means it will be made up by raising rates on future ones. The cost to ship a container from Asia to the US has reportedly gone up, from about $3500 to $17,500.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 11:18:29 pm »

I bet the cartels would be very happy to see all that free stuff for them to pick up.