Author Topic: A veteran’s odyssey after hanging up the uniform in an America he doesn’t recognize  (Read 64 times)

rangerrebew

A veteran’s odyssey after hanging up the uniform in an America he doesn’t recognize

“The story of Odysseus is the story of the day after—what happens when the battle is done? … My service wasn’t an accomplishment. It was a liability.”

By John Thampi, The War Horse | Published Oct 17, 2021 8:55 AM

Voices Culture

Sgt. 1st Class Justin Hathaway, United States Forces-Iraq Provost Marshal Office operations non-commissioned officer in charge, braves a sandstorm after leaving the 9th Air and Space Expeditionary Task Force-Iraq and U.S. Forces-Iraq Provost Marshal Office at Al Asad Air Base, Iraq, Sept. 27, 2011. (Photo by Master Sgt. Cecilio Ricard).

This article first appeared on The War Horse, an award-winning nonprofit news organization educating the public on military service. Subscribe to their newsletter.

Sing in me, Muse, and through me tell the story

of that man skilled in all ways of contending …

-Homer, The Odyssey

A blind poet’s story of Odysseus, the mighty hero, is a story for the ages. It is a tale of a warrior who overcame great gods, mythic battles, mega monsters, and himself to find his way back home to his beloved Ithaca.

Returning to my Ithaca, I encountered so many venues to sing this song. There were workshops, talks, comedy events, long-distance runs, parades, group therapy, bar sessions, and Greek choruses to help craft and redraft the story.

My military service was publisher gold—the harsher, the better—as many acclaimed veteran writers had proven. After all, my training had prepared me to go into combat and face down death.

But the story of Odysseus is the story of the day after—what happens when the battle is done?

https://taskandpurpose.com/voices/us-army-veteran-odyssey-after-war/