Author Topic: Facebook rebrands as 'Meta'  (Read 320 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Facebook rebrands as 'Meta'
« on: October 28, 2021, 06:32:31 pm »
Facebook rebrands as 'Meta'
By Chris Mills Rodrigo - 10/28/21 02:22 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerberg announced Thursday that the company he founded is rebranding as Meta.

“Facebook is one of the most used products in the history of the world… but increasingly it just doesn’t encompass everything we do,” he said during a livestreamed event.

The announcement came during an address by Zuckerberg about the company’s ambitions in what they are calling the metaverse, which is being pitched as an immersive virtual online experience.

The name change comes amid as Facebook continues to face intense scrutiny. Dozens of news stories have been released this week based on internal documents provided by whistleblower Frances Haugen painting a company that prioritizes profit over user safety.

Lawmakers have taken notice, pledging to move forward with regulations on the back of Haugen’s testimony earlier this month.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/technology/578965-facebook-rebrands-as-meta
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Re: Facebook rebrands as 'Meta'
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 06:45:20 pm »
I have a better name, that more accurately describes their intrusiveness:  Panopticon.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 07:15:20 pm »
What's in a name? That which we call a social media site by any other name would smell as much like dog poop.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 07:47:23 pm »
What's in a name? That which we call a social media site by any other name would smell as much like dog poop.
So dog poop would, were he not Zuckerberg call'd, retain that awful stench which he owes

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 08:10:49 pm »
It has the soybois stench all over it. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 08:22:11 pm »
As in "metadata", which is the real reason for their existence and the heart of their business model: compile everything about everyone, and sell it. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 08:30:28 pm »
Should have named it "Metasexual"
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline corbe

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 09:37:55 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 09:42:41 pm »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 09:44:48 pm »
So dog poop would, were he not Zuckerberg call'd, retain that awful stench which he owes
It ain't no rose....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2021, 10:09:55 pm »
Good, we now have another four letter word in our vocabulary to use.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2021, 11:04:58 pm »
Mark Zuckerberg announced Thursday that the company he founded is rebranding as Meta.

The announcement came during an address by Zuckerberg about the company’s ambitions in what they are calling the metaverse, which is being pitched as an immersive virtual online experience.

A local, non-political radio show was just talking about
what Facebook wants to transform itself into.

They want to be an all-inclusive service
that immerses users into a complete virtual reality.

They want to combine movies, music, news, and social media
into one platform.

My thought is, it's the ultimate goal of all propagandists ever -
they want to actually create a complete virtual reality world
just like in The Matrix movies.

The infinity logo represents infinite control over everything everyone perceives.

If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2021, 01:12:55 am »
A Jewish boy like Zuck should have known better

https://twitter.com/DrTechlash/status/1453789543975378945?s=20
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2021, 04:31:48 pm »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 02:12:10 am »
MEnTAl
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis