Author Topic: This is the Army’s plan to stop physically breaking so many of its soldiers  (Read 73 times)

rangerrebew

This is the Army’s plan to stop physically breaking so many of its soldiers

“My sergeants major right now, they hurt. Their bodies hurt."

By Haley Britzky | Updated Oct 27, 2021 12:02 PM

It appears the era of “a couple of Motrin should do the trick” could be nearing its end in the Army.

“My sergeants major right now, they hurt. Their bodies hurt,” Col. Phillip Kiniery, the commander of the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, told Task & Purpose last week. “I need to make sure that the next group of leaders and senior leaders in the Army don’t feel like I feel physically. That they’re healthy … I wish we thought this way when we were going up.”

The 4,500-soldier brigade is part of an effort to address injuries early and give soldiers more access to physical and occupational therapy through the Army’s holistic health and fitness program, which was announced in 2017 and officially put into Army policy last year. It focuses on total wellness, not just physical fitness, and urges mental and spiritual wellbeing, getting enough rest, eating well, and, more simply, just taking care of yourself.

Referred to internally as H2F, the holistic health and fitness program encourages soldiers to take better care of their minds and bodies, not simply push through the pain after an injury, and emphasizes learning how to physically train properly. And at least one brigade commander is hoping that with that kind of change, the next generation of Army leaders won’t have the same kinds of aches and pains as, you know, all of you do. But to do that will require a certain level of humility from leaders.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/army-holistic-health-fitness-82nd-airborne/