Author Topic: Colin Powell, former general and secretary of state, dead at 84  (Read 2849 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Colin Powell, former general and secretary of state, dead at 84
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2021, 01:12:48 am »
Whoopi Goldberg: Colin Powell May Not Have Died as Quickly ‘Had Everybody Been Vaccinated’
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2021/10/19/whoopi-goldberg-colin-powell-may-not-have-died-as-quickly-had-everybody-been-vaccinated/
Yeah, Whoopi.

And if one didn't gain the weight of a walrus, then one might be able to survive longer as well.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline libertybele

« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2021, 01:18:32 am »
How does this incompetent boob know that?

Well, because she's a bat crap crazy liberal.  :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2021, 11:33:50 am »
Well, because she's a bat crap crazy liberal.  :shrug:

True story.  She will ride the crazy train till the wheels fall off
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2021, 12:54:44 pm »
To those of you who took offense to Pres. Trump's tweet on the media's covering of Colin Powell...maybe you should protest by not voting for him in 2024.     *****rollingeyes*****

Rolling eyes?  Give me a break!!!

No one was infering that, and you know it.  Just because you want to  defend this idiotic statement doesn't mean Briefers will vote otherwise.  Blasting a poltical opponent a day after he dies not only has never been a good political strategy, but it is tasteless and crass as well.

I was really hoping for more from Trump in interpersonal skills as we approach 2024.  But looks like I am going to be disappointed.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2021, 01:31:10 pm »

No one was infering that, and you know it.  Just because you want to  defend this idiotic statement doesn't mean Briefers will vote otherwise.  Blasting a poltical opponent a day after he dies not only has never been a good political strategy, but it is tasteless and crass as well.

I was really hoping for more from Trump in interpersonal skills as we approach 2024.  But looks like I am going to be disappointed.

Trump is what he is and he's not going to change.  While his comment on Powell's death is fundamentally true IMO, it went beyond his typical dumb-ass narcissist lunacy to rank, inexcusable stupidity.  It was once said of Clinton that he wanted to be the bride at every wedding and the corpse at every funeral; Trump has just proven that at least the latter is true of him as well.

Unfortunately there are many people who will protest against Trump's personality by voting against him, even at the cost of continuing the kind of national catastrophe we're now experiencing.  For someone who's supposed to be such a business genius, Trump doesn't seem to recognize that sales is about making people WANT the product, not about making the product as repulsive as possible and then expecting people to buy it anyway.  He's demonstrated here why the R party would be far better off leaving him to run his mouth on the sidelines and coalescing around some other standard bearer for 2024, someone who can carry forward Trump's policies without the adulterating poison of a thin-skinned, galactic-sized, self-absorbed egomania.
James 1:20

« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2021, 01:51:13 pm »
Trump is what he is and he's not going to change.  While his comment on Powell's death is fundamentally true IMO, it went beyond his typical dumb-ass narcissist lunacy to rank, inexcusable stupidity.  It was once said of Clinton that he wanted to be the bride at every wedding and the corpse at every funeral; Trump has just proven that at least the latter is true of him as well.

Unfortunately there are many people who will protest against Trump's personality by voting against him, even at the cost of continuing the kind of national catastrophe we're now experiencing.  For someone who's supposed to be such a business genius, Trump doesn't seem to recognize that sales is about making people WANT the product, not about making the product as repulsive as possible and then expecting people to buy it anyway.  He's demonstrated here why the R party would be far better off leaving him to run his mouth on the sidelines and coalescing around some other standard bearer for 2024, someone who can carry forward Trump's policies without the adulterating poison of a thin-skinned, galactic-sized, self-absorbed egomania.
Most of what you said was true and I certainly agree the ego is driving this man into corners he should not be frequenting.

I also believe the same was true of George Patton during WW2.   Yet the Allies needed him to win the war and brought him back into the fray as he was brilliant in the way he fought his battles against the true enemy.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2021, 01:53:15 pm »

Excellent points all, Sam.  Especially around the area of business acumen. Seems Trump forget the lesson around "pissing off the customer" is not the best of strategic value.  I do hope we have alternatives in 2024 that can take the Trump banner without the albatross of PR disasters. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2021, 01:54:52 pm »
“Laura and I are deeply saddened by the death of Colin Powell. He was a great public servant, starting with his time as a soldier during Vietnam. Many Presidents relied on General Powell’s counsel and experience. He was National Security Adviser under President Reagan, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under my father and President Clinton, and Secretary of State during my Administration. He was such a favorite of Presidents that he earned the Presidential Medal of Freedom – twice. He was highly respected at home and abroad. And most important, Colin was a family man and a friend. Laura and I send Alma and their children our sincere condolences as they remember the life of a great man.”

-President George W. Bush

I challenge anyone to find a statement from a Democrat that is as kind and sincere as this.

@Hoodat

That IS a DIM. Boy Jorge holds the record for being the most useless pile of dung to have ever lived in the WH,but Slow Joe is making a serious challenge to  his throne.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2021, 01:57:39 pm »
@Hoodat

That IS a DIM. Boy Jorge holds the record for being the most useless pile of dung to have ever lived in the WH,but Slow Joe is making a serious challenge to  his throne.

I liked "W" better when he kept his trap shut. But you are right, he sure showed his true colors on 9-11-21, and conservatives should never forget or forgive.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
You can always depend on the liberals to be a beacon of compassion.  And I was surprised on the amount of "praise" from the left for a man who gave his whole life to this county.  STUNNING! :3:

@rangerrebew

Colon Powell WAS a leftie. A total AA hire. He was on the verge of being given the boot by the army when Henry Kissinger chose him to be his "bag boy". Little Henry wanted to boss a big darky around.

To give him the credit he is due,he DID  speak excellent English,which did help both him and Kissinger during his "bag boy" career.

Tell me,rangerbrew,how many infantry officers have YOU ever heard of that spent a year as an advisor to a SVN Infantry battalion,and didn't even get a CIB OR a "thank you for not burning out country to the ground"  letter from the VN commander he supposedly advised?

Hell,after I got medivaced the SVN government actually mailed a valor award to my home address,and I was a nothing nobody buck sgt.

Yet Colon Powell got nothing.

It SEEMS like I read in a memoir he wrote that he got lost driving from NY to Ft.Bragg,and had to spend the night with his family in a "black motel" (the HORRORS!) south of Bragg after somehow missing all the signs on I-95 that pointed out the way.

How the HELL can you miss Ft.Bragg while riding on I-95?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 02:21:39 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2021, 02:09:41 pm »
Unless he can prove Powell was infected through contact with a particular unvaccinated person, that may be the most ignorant reaction yet to the man's death.

@mountaineer

No kidding!

I wonder if he rents out his chrystal ball?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2021, 02:15:31 pm »
That statement by Trump was in very poor taste. Shameful.

@libertybele

A turd is a turd.

Good riddance to bad trash. They should flush him instead of burying him. I sincerely hope he isn't buried at Arlington. The people already there and their familes deserve more than a slap in the face like that.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2021, 02:57:57 pm »
Most of what you said was true and I certainly agree the ego is driving this man into corners he should not be frequenting.

I also believe the same was true of George Patton during WW2.   Yet the Allies needed him to win the war and brought him back into the fray as he was brilliant in the way he fought his battles against the true enemy.

Herein lies much of the rub.  Trump thinks the true enemy is anyone who might outshine him personally.

We regularly excoriate the R establishment here for running harder against conservatives than against Ds; John McCain is an obvious example.  Trump does exactly the same thing, as demonstrated by his 2016 primary campaign against Cruz.  If he could keep his fire properly aimed down-range, and recognize when to shut up so as not to make himself radioactive (hence giving the entire party radiation sickness) I'd be much more outspoken in support of him.

The R party needs a nominee who has an actual adult level of self-awareness.  Unfortunately, Trump does not have that.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 03:02:15 pm by HoustonSam »

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2021, 03:35:36 pm »
Seems a good time and place to remind  Briefers that this thread is not about Donald Trump. 

If the former President's statement is so upsetting, I suggest a separate thread with the statement in question as the topic where posters are welcome to explain how Donald Trump thinks, what he doesn't unnderstand, and his emotional and intellectual weaknesses.  The predicted expert opinions could keep the thread going for at least a dozen pages.

For the here and now, why not show the recently deceased Colin Powell respect and keep this thread abouut him --- and by extension the COVID vaccination Pandora's box his death has exposed?

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2021, 03:55:33 pm »
Seems a good time and place to remind  Briefers that this thread is not about Donald Trump. 

If the former President's statement is so upsetting, I suggest a separate thread with the statement in question as the topic where posters are welcome to explain how Donald Trump thinks, what he doesn't unnderstand, and his emotional and intellectual weaknesses.  The predicted expert opinions could keep the thread going for at least a dozen pages.

For the here and now, why not show the recently deceased Colin Powell respect and keep this thread abouut him --- and by extension the COVID vaccination Pandora's box his death has exposed?

Thank you!   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2021, 04:11:34 pm »

Here's the rub. Trump's product sold itself, for the most part. Golf course, hotel, services, etc. Name recognition.
None of it really done at the retail level by him, personally. The contact people make those operations go.

Being direct, not pulling punches, is pretty much necessary to getting things built and built right. If you are the least bit wishy-washy or show weakness, you are going to end up with corners cut and a shabby result, and not just in the construction phase.
That is a far cry from the mutual ass-kissing world of politics, where unfulfilled promises are the order of the day.

Now that may not sit well with those who are not used to that environment where results count and toes just might get stepped on (if you don't want your toes stepped on, do your damned job, and get it right, and if there is a problem, let the boss know as soon as it is identified, preferably with a solution).
It's funny, but the oil patch is much the same way. Direct. Result oriented. Anything less, you're going to take heat, and be open to getting gigged, and that's if no one gets hurt or killed.

Not that much real blue on blue, there, most of the people who got gigged deserved it--No matter which 'side' they were on.

Failure among alleged allies has the effect of helping the enemy.
If you were supposedly on his team, you got it right or were out of there.

The unfortunate exception was in the COVID response, and he 'trusted the science', not realizing the political perfidy of Fauci, or that the "science" they were touting was (perhaps intentionally) flawed. In one area where we all have been conditioned over decades to trust medical personnel, they have proved to have been liars in some things, and appear to be cooking the books in others, possibly for profit, but definitely acting in serious detriment to the Constitution and our Liberty, which runs hand in glove with the Democrat agenda.

Any voice otherwise is routinely shouted down or CENSORED. If the 'science' is well done, and not the product of investigative bias, in other words, correct, complete, and true, it can withstand laying the cards on the table, warts and all. That has not been done since people started losing accounts at Twitter and Facebook over this. Journal articles (results of studies done) have been retracted from prominent Medical Journals (Lancet and NEJM) because the material was not up to any scientific standard, material which damned possible treatments, and set the stage for pushing for the vaccines which, increasingly, are ineffective.

IIRC, more than once Patton was held back for political reasons. Among other things, Patton wanted to cut off the salient in the Battle of the Bulge, which would have resulted in the surrender of most German forces. Instead, the bulge was pushed back into Germany, not encircled. Sicily was similar, but Patton did an end run.

That may make for an ugly battlespace, but war is hell.

As for "radioactivity", most of the ionizing radiation is coming out of the broadcast media of old, now delivered via internet, 4 or 5G and cable, but it is still intended to polarize the debate. Those who will believe the swill that comes dribbling out of the likes of ABCNNBCBS, et. al. or think they will ever get the full story from YouTube, Facebook, the cesspool of leftist dreck on Twitter, are the sort of folks who might think lolling in a cesspool is a healing organic mineral bath. Those who aren't happy there will seek other sources of information. Those who are happy there deserve the aroma they acquire.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2021, 05:29:36 pm »

https://mobile.twitter.com/nypost/status/1450678425686007808

No distinction in the article between the long-term wisdom of leaving Afghanistan and the near-term disaster of a chaotic exit apparently with no planning or real process.  That's insufficiently "nuanced" for elitists like Powell and Woodward; I wonder why?

FWIW @Right_in_Virginia IMO you nailed it perfectly in your response #56 on this thread.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2021, 10:38:54 pm »
Herein lies much of the rub.  Trump thinks the true enemy is anyone who might outshine him personally.

Clearly not true,since he doesn't believe such a person exists.

The R party needs a nominee who has an actual adult level of self-awareness.  Unfortunately, Trump does not have that.

Group hugs for everbodie!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2021, 11:45:10 pm »
I liked "W" better when he kept his trap shut. But you are right, he sure showed his true colors on 9-11-21, and conservatives should never forget or forgive.

Agreed.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2021, 03:17:56 pm »

:thumbsup:

« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2021, 03:21:50 pm »

We regularly excoriate the R establishment here for running harder against conservatives than against Ds; John McCain is an obvious example.  Trump does exactly the same thing, as demonstrated by his 2016 primary campaign against Cruz.  If he could keep his fire properly aimed down-range, and recognize when to shut up so as not to make himself radioactive (hence giving the entire party radiation sickness) I'd be much more outspoken in support of him.

So we are not debating on whether Trump is capable or has been able to progress the conservative principles we need for this country, which we should all agree is what we wish for a Chief Executive.

It seems the only question is who Trump believes is the enemy.  Is it the leftists or is it anyone who he believes intrudes on his ego?

My opinion remains that his actions overwhelmingly support it is the former.

And if this poll is accurate it appears the least biased agree.

81 Million Votes? Donald Trump is Crushing Biden with Independents, According to New 2024 Poll
https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,451694.0.html
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 03:32:57 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline Mod2

« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2021, 03:38:40 pm »
The topic is Colin Powell. Please stay on topic.