Author Topic: Yellen on $600 IRS reporting requirement: 'There's a lot of tax fraud and cheating that's going on.'  (Read 799 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Yellen on $600 IRS reporting requirement: 'There's a lot of tax fraud and cheating that's going on.'
The treasury secretary insists the rule is aimed at 'high-income individuals'

By Breck Dumas FOXBusiness

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen continues her pitch for the Biden administration's proposal that would require banks to report every customer's transaction of $600 or more to the IRS, insisting it is aimed at wealthy people while saying "there's a lot of tax fraud and cheating that's going on."

The White House estimates that the plan would raise more than $460 billion over the next decade for the federal government through ramped-up enforcement, and the administration is trying to sell the plan as a way to make money from rich folks –  although all Americans would be subject to the rule.

In a clip aired Tuesday evening, CBS News' Norah O'Donnell asked Yellen regarding the plan, "Does this mean that the government is trying to peek into our pocketbooks if you want to look at $600 transactions?"

"Absolutely not," the treasury secretary replied, insisting, "I think this proposal has been seriously mischaracterized. The proposal involves no reporting of individual transactions of any individual."

Then Yellen went into how there are "individuals" the IRS does not receive enough information about.

"Look, the big picture is that we have a tax gap that over the next decade is estimated at $7 trillion," she continued. "Namely, a shortfall in the amount that the IRS is collecting due to a failure of individuals to report the income that they have earned."

more
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/yellen-irs-reporting-requirement-tax-fraud-and-cheating
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

Well, you could open up several accounts and make sure that they are under the $600 threshold. It would be a major hassle, but perhaps it would keep Uncle Sam's nose out of your business.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Why yes there is, predominately by illegals democrat politicians and their families 9999hair out0000

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Well, you could open up several accounts and make sure that they are under the $600 threshold. It would be a major hassle, but perhaps it would keep Uncle Sam's nose out of your business.

???

What good is that going to do, @libertybele ?

It has nothing to do with account BALANCES.  Has to do with any transaction that moves a minimum of $600 in or out, on a single transaction.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Nope. With the banks working hand-in-hand with NSA/CIA/FBI/IRS, they will get notified with every new account opened by anyone. Unless you have 50 fake names and SSNs to match, it will not take them long to flag you. And then you will become even more of a target than before.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online mountaineer

Has to do with any transaction that moves a minimum of $600 in or out, on a single transaction.
Like writing a rent check or paying an insurance premium? This is crazy.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
'I think this proposal has been seriously mischaracterized': Janet Yellen defends plan for IRS to snoop on accounts with more than $600 and claims it will help make billionaires pay more tax

The Treasury Secretary has since September pushed for tough reporting rules
    She wants the IRS to be able to look at any accounts with more than $600
    Yellen has argued that the move will reduce the amount hidden by billionaires
    Critics fear that the ruling will allow the IRS to spy on Americans' bank balances
    Yellen on Tuesday told CBS that the proposal had been 'mischaracterized'
    She said there would be 'no reporting of individual transactions of any individual'

By Harriet Alexander For Dailymail.com

Published: 01:43 EDT, 13 October 2021 | Updated: 04:17 EDT, 13 October 2021

The Treasury Secretary has defended plans to monitor bank transactions of more than $600, insisting that the scheme was designed to end 'tax fraud' by billionaires, and would not mean Americans' accounts were recorded.

The new proposal requires financial institutions to annually report the total amount that went in and out of the bank as well as loan and investment accounts if within that year the accounts hold a value of at least $600 or if the total transactions are $600 or more in a year.

More simply, this means that if total funds flowing in and out of a credit or debit account equal at least $600, banks have to report those figures to the IRS. This includes paychecks or money transferred from apps like PayPal.

more
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10086681/This-seriously-mischaracterized-Janet-Yellen-defends-plan-IRS-snoop-accounts.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Cash is king.
Not really. A lot of places around where I am will not take cash or a check.
In my opinion, before very long America is going to make cash transactions illegal over a certain amount.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Kamaji

Ask #FJB about tax fraud - he committed it to the tune of $500k.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

$600 seems like an suspiciously low amount for snagging wealthy tax cheats.  Wealthy tax cheats aren't going to be writing checks to hide their untaxed income.

Tracking private post-tax-income transactions is definitely tyrannical over-reach. Does this mean the the Federal Reserve is now a tax collection agency?

At the dog track, if you won more than $500 you had to fill out an IRS form.

I've seen people from the projects exchange cash for money orders to pay bills to hide their under-the-table income.

The unintended consequence is that working people are less likely to trust the traditional banking system.  I wouldn't be surprised if an encrypted shadow banking system emerged.

In the future, the government will attempt to eliminate cash and all non-electronic transactions in its quest to allegedly catch wealthy tax cheats.  This is why governments see private crypto-currencies as a threat - it's much more difficult to track and stop.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

$600 seems like an suspiciously low amount for snagging wealthy tax cheats.  Wealthy tax cheats aren't going to be writing checks to hide their untaxed income.

Tracking private post-tax-income transactions is definitely tyrannical over-reach. Does this mean the the Federal Reserve is now a tax collection agency?

At the dog track, if you won more than $500 you had to fill out an IRS form.

I've seen people from the projects exchange cash for money orders to pay bills to hide their under-the-table income.

The unintended consequence is that working people are less likely to trust the traditional banking system.  I wouldn't be surprised if an encrypted shadow banking system emerged.

In the future, the government will attempt to eliminate cash and all non-electronic transactions in its quest to allegedly catch wealthy tax cheats.  This is why governments see private crypto-currencies as a threat - it's much more difficult to track and stop.

It's probably a carryover from the old Form 1099 reporting requirements, under which a business that makes payments of $600 or more during the year to individuals and certain types of businesses must report those payments on Form 1099.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

It's probably a carryover from the old Form 1099 reporting requirements, under which a business that makes payments of $600 or more during the year to individuals and certain types of businesses must report those payments on Form 1099.

Isn't this still the "law" @Kamaji ?

Offline Kamaji

Isn't this still the "law" @Kamaji ?

As far as I know, yes.  I'm just thinking that somebody used the $600 number because that's what's used for current 1099 reporting.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Ain't got a thing to do with tax cheating.

They just want to legally monitor your bank account.
The Republic is lost.

Online mountaineer

Of course they do.
 At least they'll find ours pretty boring.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Of course they do.

Now with the supply shortages, they want to monitor 'hoarding'.

If you are unvaccinated but buy something in public, they can track you and round you up.

The possibilities for abuse are endless.
The Republic is lost.

Online mountaineer

Now with the supply shortages, they want to monitor 'hoarding'.
Great. I have something like 57 rolls of toilet paper. Maybe I could hide my guns among the rolls, and then bury the whole lot of it somewhere in the back yard.

Online libertybele

Of course they do.

We are on SS and make a pittance, yet we were audited and had to wait almost 4 mos. for our measly tax return.

Just wondering if this also includes trust accounts?  A trust technically isn't an individual.  What about brokerage accounts?

I've already had enough of FJB!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

This will come in real handy when they start monitoring social media for uppity anti government types. There’s always something they can ding you for, and if they can’t find anything they’ll still bankrupt you trying to defend yourself.

Online libertybele

Great. I have something like 57 rolls of toilet paper. Maybe I could hide my guns among the rolls, and then bury the whole lot of it somewhere in the back yard.

I thought you lost your guns in the flood?

Online mountaineer

I thought you lost your guns in the flood?
Oh, yeah. The flood of 2005, as I recall.

Online mountaineer

And I'm not stocking the freezer with meat whenever I find a bargain. No sirree, not hoarding that, either.
... The price hikes were spread throughout the aisles of the grocery store, with all six major food group categories registering higher prices. The index for meats, poultry, fish, and eggs rose 2.2 percent over the past month and 10.5 percent compared with a year ago.  The index for fruits and vegetables rose 0.6 percent in September, a larger increase than the 0.2-percent increase reported in August, and is up three percent compared with a year ago. The index for cereals and bakery products rose 1.1 percent over the month and 2.7 percent over the past year.

Some of the biggest jumps on an annual basis:

Ground beef: + 10.6 percent.
    Steaks: +22.1 percent.
    Bacon: +19.3 percent.
    Pork roasts, ribs, steaks: +19.2 percent.
    Chickens: +17.1 percent.
    Fresh fish: +10.7 percent.
    Eggs: +12.6 percent.
    Peanut Butter: +6.2 percent.
    Apples: + 7.8 percent.
    Ham: +7 percent.
    Baby food: +4.4 percent.
Bidenflation: Prices Soar for Hamburgers, Bacon, Ribs, Chicken, Baby Food, and Peanut Butter

Online cato potatoe

Something tells me they won't spend a lot of time reconciling Janet Yellen's accounts.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Let's say a person is committing tax fraud at the $600.00 level.
How much is it going to cost to pick them out of the pile and prosecute them?

Just how much fraud can one commit with only two zeros after the first integer?

How much, net, is this going to cost the people who aren't committing fraud (not to mention the accused to defend against it)?
Or is this just another malicious weaponization of the IRS?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis