Author Topic: Ohio police probed after man screaming 'I'm paraplegic' dragged from car  (Read 261 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Ohio police probed after man screaming 'I'm paraplegic' dragged from car
BBC, Oct 11, 2021

US police are investigating video showing a black man being dragged from his car by officers as he repeatedly screams "I'm paraplegic".

Bodycam footage shows officers stopping Clifford Owensby in Dayton, Ohio, last month and asking him to step out of his car so they can search it for drugs.

Mr Owensby, 39, refuses, saying he does not have use of his legs.

The officers insist he must get out and then pull him from the vehicle by his hair and arms as he calls for help.

The Dayton Police Department says it is now investigating the incident that took place on 30 September.

Authorities say the officers stopped Mr Owensby because he was driving away from a house suspected of hosting involvement in drugs. Police say they found a bag of cash containing $22,450 (£16,500) in the car.

Mr Owensby has not been charged over any drug-related offences.

During the incident, Mr Owensby repeatedly refuses requests to leave the car, although officers do say they will help him out.

Mr Owensby asks an officer to call in a "white shirt", meaning a superior.

"Here's the thing, I'm going to pull you out and then I'll call a white shirt," an officer replies.

As his frustration increases, he says: "You can co-operate and get out of the car or I'll drag you out of the car. Do you see your two options here?"

Dayton's mayor Nan Whaley described the footage as "very concerning".

Civil rights groups say they are also looking into the incident.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58869865

Online Right_in_Virginia

Offline Kamaji

Re: Ohio police probed after man screaming 'I'm paraplegic' dragged from car
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 09:53:39 pm »
It should have been sufficient for him to have turned off the car, provided the officers with the keys, and then kept his hands outside the car window at all times; the officers could then have called for a supervisor to resolve the situation.

This was a pretty stupid thing for them to do.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 10:09:31 pm »
It should have been sufficient for him to have turned off the car, provided the officers with the keys, and then kept his hands outside the car window at all times; the officers could then have called for a supervisor to resolve the situation.

This was a pretty stupid thing for them to do.

Was there special equipment for the driver?  I looked at the video, but don't know what I'm looking for.   Was his license for a "handicapped driver" --- the cops had the license.  Was there a wheelchair in the car the driver could have asked the cops to retrieve? 

All I know is there's another "disturbing" photo of a black man screaming on the ground.   **nononono*

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 10:51:20 pm »
...  Clifford Owensby was pulled over on Sept. 30 after leaving what police said is a suspected drug house. Due to Owensby’s previous felony drug and weapons violations, officers were attempting to run a K-9 “free-air” sniff of the car to see if there were illegal drugs inside.

After removing him from the car, police say they found $22,450 in cash inside a bag.

Owensby claimed the cash found was his ‘savings’ — no drugs were found in the car. He was charged with obstructing official business and resisting arrest. ...
Breaking 911

Before anyone says it, no, I'm not attempting to justify any of the police actions on the basis of this guy's criminal record. I take no position one way or the other on the incident. I'm just adding some information.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 10:54:42 pm »
Facts no longer matter in the woke world. Just optics.

So, no eF's given for the black bastard putting on a show for woke ratings or rantings.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online rustynail

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 10:58:52 pm »
Did the cops keep the money?

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 03:03:16 pm »
Gee:

* The officers knew from running his ID that the guy has a felony record;

* The requirement that drivers and passengers be out of cars before a K9 search is for their, the officers', and the dogs' safety

* The guy refused assistance from the officers;

* When the officers tried to remove him after offering assistance he resisted by grabbing hold of the steering wheel.

The results of the search demonstrated the real reason the guy resisted (the end doesn't necessarily justify the means, but the means in this case were legal, and the end proved the officers' suspicions right).

Bottom line, the guy resisted arrest, zero sympathy from me.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 06:10:26 pm »
Bottom line, the guy resisted arrest, zero sympathy from me.
Yeah, I'm not jumping on the "oooh, bad police!" bandwagon until more facts are out.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 07:53:13 pm »
I don't know the detail but it would seem that a car driven by a paraplegic
would have a license plate with some medical symbol, and the man's
drivers license or computer record would also have some medical information.

Looked on DuckDuckGo for Ohio, but that does not come up.

Any traffic cop should know.
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote