Author Topic: You come across a bear. Your next move is very important. Do you know what to do?  (Read 941 times)

Offline libertybele

You come across a bear. Your next move is very important. Do you know what to do?

You're out for a hike on a glorious fall day. Suddenly, you spot a bear. And the bear has spotted you, too. Would you know what to do next?
Beth Pratt sure would.
She was once on the Old Gardiner Road Trail in Yellowstone National Park, enjoying her run in wild nature. Her reverie came to an end when she came upon a grizzly bear eating flowers.
"I stopped. It stood on its hind legs and looked at me. I knew that wasn't a threatening gesture," she told CNN Travel. "I'm not kidding, it waved its paw at me as if to say, 'just go on your way,' and went back to eating."
"And I walked slowly away and put some distance between us, and the encounter ended fine."............

.....................First rule of 'bear fight club': Don't fight
The best strategy is to never get in harm's way by enticing or provoking a wild bear. Trying to give a bear food or approaching cute cubs are particularly terrible ways to start an encounter. That's just looking for trouble.
The US National Park Service site points out each bear and each encounter is different, but there are general guidelines useful in most situations.
First of all, keep your distance if you happen upon a bear. Don't approach it, and give it plenty of room to walk away from you. Yellowstone tells you to stay at least 100 yards (300 feet or 91 meters) away; Shenandoah National Park in Virginia suggests 200 feet (61 meters) for its black bears.
You can run afoul of the law as well as the bears if you get too close. Just this week, a woman was given four days in federal custody and fines for staying too close to a grizzly bear and her cubs at Yellowstone..............

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/bear-encounters-prevent-attacks-wellness/index.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

Any time you go hiking, make sure you take someone with you that cannot run as fast as you.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Any time you go hiking, make sure you take someone with you that cannot run as fast as you.

True story.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

Anytime you go hiking, make sure you're packing more than a picnic lunch.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Okay Boo Boo!   LOL

Offline libertybele

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
But wait, I thought the answer was give them your pic-a-nic basket? You mean in those early years watching  yogi555 they were lying to me? 9999hair out0000

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
But wait, I thought the answer was give them your pic-a-nic basket? You mean in those early years watching  yogi555 they were lying to me? 9999hair out0000

That Yogi wasn't just smarter than the average bear, he was Machiavelli-level cunning, too.  Maybe even treacherous as far as the Ranger was concerned. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GtHawk

That Yogi wasn't just smarter than the average bear, he was Machiavelli-level cunning, too.  Maybe even treacherous as far as the Ranger was concerned.
But you must agree, Yogi never once tried to eat Ranger Smith.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
LOL!  You guyz....

How to differentiate between a Black bear and a Grizzly Bear.

1) Climb the nearest tree.
2) If the bear climbs the tree, it's a Black Bear.
3) If it's a Grizzly, it will just knock the tree over.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
If you come across a bear, *GROWL*, make yourself big, pull out any food you have (especially fish or berries) and eat it loudly right in front of him/her. This will show dominance.

If there are any cubs, run at them yelling to scare them away. The mother will follow them and go away.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Hoodat

If you come across a bear, *GROWL*, make yourself big, pull out any food you have (especially fish or berries) and eat it loudly right in front of him/her. This will show dominance.

If there are any cubs, run at them yelling to scare them away. The mother will follow them and go away.

ROFLMAO !!!!!

Great advice, if you are dying from a painful incurable illness and need a quick insurance payout (x 2 payout for nature accidents) for your family.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline skeeter

Thats right. Take the cubs hostage.

Offline GrouchoTex

Thats right. Take the cubs hostage.
...or the White Sox hostage.

Offline libertybele

...or the White Sox hostage.

It depends who's on first. :whistle:

Offline libertybele

LOL!  You guyz....

How to differentiate between a Black bear and a Grizzly Bear.

1) Climb the nearest tree.
2) If the bear climbs the tree, it's a Black Bear.
3) If it's a Grizzly, it will just knock the tree over.

If all else fails... Shoot!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
If all else fails... Shoot!

Better be a pretty good caliber.  A 9mm pistol ain't gonna cut it, it just makes them angry.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Better be a pretty good caliber.  A 9mm pistol ain't gonna cut it, it just makes them angry.
.44 magnum or 454 Casull...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

.357, 44 +.  First time I fired a .357 I was standing on ice...it knocked me right on my keester...lesson learned.  :laugh:

Offline Hoodat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68h8-ESTY6o

Thanks for posting.  I had no idea of the danger of seabears or how to protect myself.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

C'mon man. If your are in Cali...  Just light a fire and boil some bear piss. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
.357, 44 +.  First time I fired a .357 I was standing on ice...it knocked me right on my keester...lesson learned.  :laugh:
I hope you got your stance down better after that... :laugh: :nono:

(sliding backward a little is acceptable if you are of smaller stature).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

When I was twelve or thirteen my uncle took me out shooting, he had just gotten a Ruger .357 and asked me if I wanted to shoot it and of course my uncle being the guy he was gave me no warnings whatsoever. I aimed and pulled the trigger, I didn't drop it but it spun on my finger great fun for him.