Author Topic: Fake News: 60 Minutes beclowns itself once again with Facebook 'whistleblower' hoax  (Read 168 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
October 7, 2021
Fake News: 60 Minutes beclowns itself once again with Facebook 'whistleblower' hoax
By Monica Showalter

Last Sunday, in its banner-head story, 60 Minutes featured a so-called Facebook "whistleblower" who quit her job amid claims that the social media giant didn't censor enough.

Sounding all Walter Cronkite-y and serious, Scott Pelley began the segment with this:

Her name is Francis Haugen, that is a fact that Facebook has been anxious to know since last month when an anonymous former employee filed complaints with federal law enforcement. The complaints say Facebook’s own research shows that it amplifies hate, misinformation and political unrest, but the company hides what it knows. One complaint alleges that Facebook’s Instagram harms teenage girls.

What makes Haugen’s complaints unprecedented is the trove of private Facebook research she took when she quit in May. The documents appeared first last month in The Wall Street Journal, but tonight Francis Haugen is revealing her identity to explain why she became the Facebook whistleblower.

A day or two afterward, Haugen testified for the Senate:

I used to work at Facebook. I joined Facebook because I think Facebook has the potential to bring out the best in us. But I’m here today because I believe Facebook’s products, harm children, stoke division, and weaken our democracy. The company’s leadership knows how to make Facebook and Instagram safer, but won’t make the necessary changes because they have put their astronomical profits before people. Congressional action is needed. They won’t solve this crisis without your help.

I had a funny feeling about her so-called whistleblowing credentials, right from the very beginning, given that she was talking about her concern for Burma rather than the censorship going on in the U.S. against mostly conservatives. Nobody cares about Burma over here, not in great numbers, and 60 Minutes is unlikely to do such a report if the only thing going on in this story is Burma ethnic hatred. Here's my immediate response to 60 Minutes:

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2021/10/fake_news_60_minutes_beclowns_itself_once_again_with_facebook_whistleblower_hoax.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

It should've been obvious when congress had hearings ready to go the day after the 60 Minutes episode aired.