Author Topic: Manchin stands firm on filibuster, Dem plans for debt ceiling hike thwarted  (Read 79 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Manchin stands firm on filibuster, Dem plans for debt ceiling hike thwarted
Schumer says there is no time for budget reconciliation, GOP refuse to budge on debt ceiling hike
By Caitlin McFall | Fox News

West Virginia Democrat Sen. Joe Manchin said Wednesday that "nothing’s changing" when it comes to his stance on the workings of the filibuster – suggesting Democratic attempts to raise the debt ceiling could again be thwarted.

Senate Democrats are facing mounting pressure to increase the nation’s debt threshold by Oct. 18, amid concern from the Biden administration that the U.S. could default on financial obligations.

Republicans in the upper chamber, who have already voted twice against raising the U.S. debt limit, are expected to block another vote Wednesday.

Earlier this week, reports showed Democrats were considering changing chamber rules to create an exception to the filibuster and allow the debt limit to be increased by a simple majority.

"I've been very, very clear where I stand, where I stand on the filibuster," Manchin told reporters Wednesday. "Nothing's changing. But the bottom line is we have a responsibility to be the adults. Our leadership has a responsibility to lead and that's what I'm asking, imploring them to do."

Democrats will be left with little option but to look at pushing through a ceiling hike by way of budget reconciliation – an option that Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said last week was a "non-starter."

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/manchin-stands-firm-filibuster-debt-ceiling-hike
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34