Author Topic: Republicans’ Debt Ceiling Strategy: Force Democrats to Take ‘Tough Votes’  (Read 112 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Republicans’ Debt Ceiling Strategy: Force Democrats to Take ‘Tough Votes’

Wendell Husebø 6 Oct 2021

Democrats may have to take some tough votes on raising the debt ceiling, Senate Republicans told reporters Tuesday.

With the debt ceiling needing to be raised by October 18, Democrats will potentially need to use reconciliation to raise the amount of money the U.S. government can borrow. The process of reconciliation would force Democrats to “take some tough votes” that may impact the 2022 midterm election.

“I mean, I’m not going to be a complete bleep about it. But I’m going to make them take some tough votes,” Lindsey Graham (R-SC), who is the ranking member on the Senate Committee on the Budget, said of the Republicans’ strategy.

Sen. Richard Shelby (R-AL) reiterated the gauntlet Senate Republicans have laid for Democrats. “I’ve been here a while. I think the Democrats can pass it through reconciliation without any problem. They had to put a number on it, which we think they ought to put a number on it and let the American people see,” he said.

“They don’t want to put a number on it, but they might have to,” Shelby added. “First of all, I don’t think the Treasury is up against the window yet. I don’t know how long they have, they might have a month. It’s like the sky is falling.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/10/06/republicans-debt-ceiling-strategy-force-democrats-take-tough-votes/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jake Sherman
@JakeSherman
 · 12m
Police cars revolving lightPolice cars revolving light NEWS: @LeaderMcConnell just told a closed meeting of Senate Republicans that he would offer a short-term debt ceiling extension today. Or offer @SenSchumer an expedited reconciliation process.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

When did legislators become such wusses?  They used to own their votes and take pride in defending them.

These nitwits are like the Harlem Globetrotters - they'll only play if they are guaranteed a victory over the Washington Generals.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline rustynail

Jake Sherman
@JakeSherman
 · 12m
Police cars revolving lightPolice cars revolving light NEWS: @LeaderMcConnell just told a closed meeting of Senate Republicans that he would offer a short-term debt ceiling extension today. Or offer @SenSchumer an expedited reconciliation process.

Mitch to the rescue.  Was Romney too busy?

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher

Mitch to the rescue.  Was Romney too busy?

GOP spanked again.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Mitch's U.S. Chamber of Commerce puppetmasters don't want a default - that would be bad for their business and bad for Mitch's political contribution receipts.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright