Author Topic: GOP senator floats debt ceiling compromise if Dems abandon $3.5T spending plan  (Read 160 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP senator floats debt ceiling compromise if Dems abandon $3.5T spending plan
Democrats immediately rejected the compromise offer

By Megan Henney FOXBusiness

Sen. Susan Collins suggested this week that some Republican lawmakers could support an effort to raise the debt ceiling if Democrats agreed to abandon a sprawling $3.5 trillion tax and spending bill that consists of the bulk of President Biden's economic agenda.

"Some Republicans would vote to raise the debt limit if they knew the Democrats were going to abandon the $3.5 trillion package, which appears unlikely, but that's an agreement that could be reached," the Maine Republican told reporters on Monday.

Democrats – who are hoping to dramatically expand the social safety net in their partisan bill – immediately rejected the compromise offer. Although details of the multitrillion-dollar measure are still being negotiated, it's expected to ultimately include billions to expand Medicare, establish free community college, provide paid family leave and combat climate change.

"I will not negotiate with someone over whether or not they are going to destroy the full faith and credit of the United States," Sen. Brian Schatz, D-Hawaii, wrote on Twitter.

For weeks, lawmakers have been at a stalemate over the debt ceiling: Democrats are pressuring Republicans to support an effort to raise or suspend the ceiling, adamant that they won't stick it in the reconciliation bill. But Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., has rejected an appeal by Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen to raise the ceiling, arguing that Democrats have the ability to go it alone.

more
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/susan-collins-debt-ceiling-compromise-democrats-spending-bill
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Susan Collins.....

:mauslaff:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
'So hey guys, if you only spend us to the edge of the cliff and not to total oblivion, I'll vote to raise the debt ceiling.'

Asshat.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Killer Clouds

Offline Hoodat

"I will not negotiate with someone over whether or not they are going to destroy the full faith and credit of the United States," Sen. Brian Schatz, D-Hawaii, wrote on Twitter.

Negotiate with?  You are the one doing it.  Full faith and credit?  You have been printing money for the last ten years to pay for your excesses.  The destruction of the full faith and credit falls on you.  And the first step towards restoring it is to stop spending money you don't have.  Start today.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
Shit for brains RINO Collins thinks she can trust democrats?

Bless her heart.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.