Author Topic: Facebook is down! Massive outage  (Read 4642 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Facebook is down! Massive outage
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2021, 06:29:01 pm »
Disclose.tv
@disclosetv
·
47m
UPDATE - DNS records that tell systems around the world how to find http://Facebook.com or http://Instagram.com got withdrawn from the global Internet routing tables.

Can someone who speaks code explain what that means?  It doesn't sound good.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2021, 06:35:23 pm »
As of now, Bookface is down about 20% on NASDAQ.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2021, 06:37:33 pm »
Carmine Sabia
@CarmineSabia
BREAKING: Unconfirmed report that data of 1.5 billion Facebook users is being sold on the hackers forum. Data includes name, email, gender, phone numbers, locations and User ID.
2:29 PM · Oct 4, 2021·

Sounds like SNAFU to me.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2021, 06:40:14 pm »

Every connection on the internet has a numeric address (192.168.1.0.0.0 for example) and rather than have people memorize these numbers, the dns (dynamic name server) translates domain name to internet address.  YOu can type in gopbriefingroom.com and the software will search the DNS to find the address and take you there.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2021, 06:41:14 pm »
Sounds like SNAFU to me.

Emphasis on the "N."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2021, 06:41:54 pm »
Every connection on the internet has a numeric address (192.168.1.0.0.0 for example) and rather than have people memorize these numbers, the dns (dynamic name server) translates domain name to internet address.  YOu can type in gopbriefingroom.com and the software will search the DNS to find the address and take you there.

So what would cause all DNS references to FB IG and WhatsApp just disappear like that?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2021, 06:43:34 pm »
So what would cause all DNS references to FB IG and WhatsApp just disappear like that?
Yes... you local provider has a dns server to speed things up but that gets refreshed from the main dns servers every so often.  Not sure where this "hack" happened but yes, it could make websites disappear...

Offline skeeter

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2021, 06:44:44 pm »
hopefully it means the creepy nerd who owns the place will be wishing he had the 400 mil he blew on the last election back.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2021, 06:45:47 pm »
Emphasis on the "N."
Exactly. When has our Facebook info ever been safe? I know you left; I'm just hanging on to keep in touch with high school and college friends.  :shrug:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2021, 06:47:38 pm »

It's would be as if somebody reached into the various DNS Servers and excised the websites.  I think that's unlikely.
I will NOT comply.

Online DB

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2021, 07:04:05 pm »
ZERO impact on my life. None.  :shrug:

I bet it put a smile on your face.

It did mine.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2021, 07:06:09 pm »
I bet it put a smile on your face.

It did mine.
If it's bad for Zuckernerd, it's okay with me.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2021, 07:09:41 pm »
After doing some reading about the why of the outage, I'm asking myself is the internet is really this vulnerable from garden variety hackers.
The Republic is lost.

Online DB

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2021, 07:15:36 pm »
After doing some reading about the why of the outage, I'm asking myself is the internet is really this vulnerable from garden variety hackers.

Maybe they didn't pay their registry bill...

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2021, 07:17:36 pm »
Maybe they didn't pay their registry bill...

:silly:  :silly:  :silly:  :silly:  :silly:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2021, 07:21:56 pm »

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2021, 07:27:59 pm »
Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp Down Worldwide After DNS Records Vanish; Employees Badges Reportedly Not Working

TYLER DURDEN   |   OCT 04, 2021 - 12:12 PM

Update (1507ET): Facebook appears to have more than DNS issues, as NYT's Sheera Frenkel reports:

"Was just on phone with someone who works for FB who described employees unable to enter buildings this morning to begin to evaluate extent of outage because their badges weren't working to access doors."

https://twitter.com/sheeraf/status/1445099150316503057

This may suggest Facebook's internal systems are down. DNS issues that affect the website don't hinder employees from entering buildings.

Update (1448ET): It's been several hours, and Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp, and Facebook Messenger, are still down. According to internet researchers, Facebook appears to be dealing with a Domain Name System (DNS) issue.

Internet security researcher

Brian Krebs tweeted:

Confirmed: The DNS records that tell systems how to find Facebook.com or Instagram.com got withdrawn this morning from the global routing tables. Can you imagine working at FB right now, when your email no longer works & all your internal FB-based tools fail?

To be more precise (and Geek Factor 5) the BGP routes serving Facebook's authoritative DNS were withdrawn, rendering all Facebook domains inaccessible. That's per @DougMadory , who knows a few things about BGP/DNS.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/facebook-instagram-whatsapp-experience-global-outages
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2021, 07:30:58 pm »
Burning Down the House

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online DB

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2021, 07:34:20 pm »
If all this is true then you should simply be able to put in FB's IP address and get access.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2021, 07:35:30 pm »
It's awesome to know that the DNS tables aren't particularly secure and someone, anyone can just wipe out significant portions of the internet at whim.
The Republic is lost.

Online DB

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2021, 07:36:18 pm »
FB's US IP address is: 31.13.70.13

It doesn't respond which means this is more than just a DNS issue.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2021, 07:40:32 pm »
FB's US IP address is: 31.13.70.13

It doesn't respond which means this is more than just a DNS issue.

Which doesn't really inspire confidence in the internet.

Or, someone much bigger than hackers have done this.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Hoodat

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2021, 07:45:06 pm »
ZERO impact on my life. None.  :shrug:

Same here! But I must admit that knowing it gives me immense pleasure.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DB

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2021, 07:45:16 pm »
Which doesn't really inspire confidence in the internet.

Or, someone much bigger than hackers have done this.

Generally the master IP routing and domain name tables are highly protected as critical infrastructure. A lot of bad things can be done with the redirection of Web connections. Awhile back the US relinquished control of much of it to international bodies (under Obama I believe).