Author Topic: Question. The generals give advice, the civilians make the decisions. If that's true then can we sa  (Read 102 times)

rangerrebew

Question. The generals give advice, the civilians make the decisions. If that's true then can we say Biden lost the Afghanistan war?

Milley was not the only top U.S. military commander who foresaw that America’s Afghan allies could not survive without American forces on the ground. Marine Gen. Kenneth McKenzie Jr., the head of U.S. Central Command, told lawmakers on Tuesday that he had recommended last fall that the military keep 4,500 troops in the country.

“I also have a view that the withdrawal of those forces would lead inevitably to the collapse of the Afghan military forces, and eventually the Afghan government,” McKenzie said.

On Nov. 9, former Defense Secretary Mark Esper recommended to Trump that the U.S. military maintain between 2,500 and 4,500 troops in Afghanistan until conditions on the ground permitted further reductions, Milley said.

https://www.snafu-solomon.com/2021/09/question-generals-give-advice-civilians.html

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Biden turned a deaf ear toward the (competent) Generals and National Security folks who tried to warn him, of that I have little doubt. That makes that disaster all his. You don't have to be a War College grad to see where the whole SNAFU was FUBAR.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis