Author Topic: The Death of Social Conservatism in the GOP by George Neumayr  (Read 80 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The Death of Social Conservatism in the GOP by George Neumayr
« on: September 30, 2021, 01:51:59 pm »
 The Death of Social Conservatism in the GOP
Republicans cede more and more ground to the Democrats in the culture war.
by George Neumayr
September 30, 2021, 12:08 AM

“No one will question, you know, my conservative credentials,” said Liz Cheney in her recent 60 Minutes interview.  She then proceeded in the same interview to endorse gay marriage, thereby giving Republicans plenty of reason to question those credentials. She fell back on the fatuous platitudes of the Left to explain her position.

“This is an issue that we have to recognize you know, as, as human beings that we need to work against discrimination of all kinds in our country, in our state,” she said. “We were at, at an event a few nights ago and, and there was a young woman who said, she doesn’t feel safe sometimes because she’s transgender. And nobody should feel unsafe. Freedom means freedom for everybody.”

The Founding Fathers rejected that mindless definition of freedom, arguing that liberty is distinct from license. If “conservatism” can be reconciled with gay marriage and transgenderism, it is meaningless. Cheney’s boast about her impeccable conservative credentials is no more convincing than Terry McAuliffe’s description of his supporter Bill Kristol as “the leading conservative” in the country.

Many of the “conservatives” from the pre-Trump era are now de facto Democrats. They pop up on MSNBC and CNN to second this or that woke cause. Nicole Wallace, Steve Schmidt, and company ran the GOP for years. Is it any wonder that any meaningful form of social conservatism died in it?

What passes for social conservatism in the GOP these days is pretty paltry. Republicans can’t even be bothered to oppose Biden’s plans for a female military draft. “Defense bill that would make women register for draft largely supported by Republicans,” ran a recent Washington Examiner headline. George W. Bush, who normalized female soldiers in combat, made this GOP concession inevitable.

more
https://spectator.org/the-death-of-social-conservatism-in-the-gop/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Re: The Death of Social Conservatism in the GOP by George Neumayr
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 01:57:38 pm »
This is the problem with depending too heavily upon a single word to define an entire worldview - it is subject to redefinition, as so many other words have been redefined.

All we have is the Constitution. Once that is gone, and its hanging by a thread, we really will be in a free fall.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 02:01:14 pm by skeeter »

Online DefiantMassRINO

Re: The Death of Social Conservatism in the GOP by George Neumayr
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 02:12:28 pm »

"social conservatism" and "libertarianism" are opposing forces within the GOP always striving for balance, but never quite finding it.

Social conservatism usually wins out because it has a larger and better-funded base.

Just as I don't want Tipper Gore telling me what music I should, and should not, be listening to; I also don't want a return to American Puritanism.  To a Puritan, everyone looks like a witch.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.