Author Topic: Pelosi leaves room to delay infrastructure vote  (Read 221 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Pelosi leaves room to delay infrastructure vote
« on: September 29, 2021, 03:50:43 pm »
Pelosi leaves room to delay infrastructure vote
By Mike Lillis - 09/29/21 11:19 AM EDT

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Wednesday said the stonewalling by Senate centrists has "completely" disrupted the Democrats' timeline for moving President Biden's domestic agenda, leaving open the possibility that the House will punt once again on an infrastructure vote scheduled for Thursday.

Pelosi said she still intends to stage the infrastructure vote on Thursday, but acknowledged her power as Speaker to delay it, if need be.

"We take it one step at a time," Pelosi told reporters after huddling with members of her caucus in the basement of the Capitol, referring to Thursday's vote.

She also repeated her intention to not bring legislation to the floor that does not have the votes for passage. Leaders of the Congressional Progressive Caucus say half the group is prepared to vote against the infrastructure bill unless the larger social spending bill moves in tandem.

Pelosi noted that, while the House Budget Committee has already approved a blueprint for the larger social spending bill — the second piece of Biden's legislative wishlist — the Senate moderates balking at the $3.5 trillion price tag have stalled progress on the broader two-pronged agenda.

"In the meantime, there was this 'Oh my god, we can't go to that number,'" Pelosi said, invoking the Senate holdouts. "Well that completely sets off the timetable."

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/574469-pelosi-leaves-room-to-delay-infrastructure-vote
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline rustynail

Re: Pelosi leaves room to delay infrastructure vote
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 03:55:10 pm »
Oh no!  Will it pass?  Stay tuned!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 05:57:05 pm »
Will I get my Social Security check if the government shuts down? Here’s how a shutdown would affect Social Security, tax refunds and federal paychecks How a government shutdown would affect Social Security checks
The Social Security Administration (SSA)’s contingency plan says it will “continue activities critical to our direct-service operations and those needed to ensure accurate and timely payment of benefits.” But the agency would pause activities “not directly related to the accurate and timely payment of benefits or not critical to our direct-service operations.”

Contingency plans can be updated, but the SSA plan, dated Sept. 24, says operations still slated to continue are applications for benefits, address changes and the issuance of original and replacement Social Security cards. Roughly 54,000 workers of SSA’s approximately 63,000 staffers will be exempted from furlough, the document said.

Any shutdown “will have little, if any, impact on beneficiaries getting their checks,” said Max Richtman, president and CEO of the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare.

“The debt ceiling, if that’s not resolved, that could hurt you. The shutdown, that’s not going to hurt you,” he said.

Earlier this month,
Yellen warned in a Wall Street Journal opinion piece that if Congress fails to raise the debt ceiling, approximately 50 million senior citizens “could stop receiving Social Security checks for a time.”
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/will-i-get-my-social-security-check-if-the-government-shuts-down-heres-how-a-shutdown-would-affect-social-security-tax-refunds-and-federal-paychecks-11632935185?mod=newsviewer_click

I wonder why Yellen is worried about Social Security checks?

We have been told since Algore that Social Security has a massive Trust Fund to fund it, doesn't it? /sarc
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 07:07:10 pm »
Chad Pergram
@ChadPergram
 · 2h
Colleague Jacqui Heinrich rpts WH aides will head to CapHill to talk to Sinema today
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 07:37:42 pm »

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1443282196677136387
Damn! Nancy better start hittin the gym if she's gonna keep piggin out on that expensive ice cream, she be turning into as big a slug on the outside as the einside.

Online mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org