Author Topic: Biden tells agencies to confront climate superpollutant  (Read 439 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Biden tells agencies to confront climate superpollutant
« on: September 24, 2021, 01:18:02 am »
Climatewire By Jean Chemnick | 09/23/2021

The Biden administration will take aim today at a class of climate superpollutants that can be thousands of times more potent than carbon dioxide.

These gases, known as hydrofluorocarbons, are often found in appliances such as refrigerators or air conditioners, and scientists for years have warned about their potential to accelerate global warming.

To blunt the impact of hydrofluorocarbons, the Biden administration is expected to announce a sweeping, multiagency crackdown on the superpollutants.

The centerpiece of the strategy is EPA’s final rule phasing down hydrofluorocarbons by 85 percent over the next decade and a half, as required by legislation last year. The policy would allow the United States to take the domestic steps it needs to join China, the European Union and other major countries in ratifying the Kigali Amendment to the Montreal Protocol for ozone.

The initiative also provides an early glimpse into the Biden administration’s long-promised “whole-of-government approach” to fighting climate change, assigning departments from Homeland Security to Defense new roles in preventing the illegal import of HFCs or finding new uses for their more climate-friendly alternatives.

But in a call last night with reporters, White House climate adviser Gina McCarthy, emphasized the economic impact of the plan, rather than its environmental effect. It’s an approach that recalls her time as EPA administrator under President Obama, in which she often touted EPA actions as job-creators.

“The U.S. is a leader in innovation and the manufacture of the HFC alternatives, so making this shift is good for our economy,” she said. “And the action we’re announcing today will ensure that our businesses remain competitive and keep creating good-paying union jobs as the global market gets bigger and bigger for HFC alternatives.”

“It’s really, frankly folks, a very big deal,” she said.

More: https://www.eenews.net/articles/biden-tells-agencies-to-confront-climate-superpollutant/

Time to stock up on R-134A before its outlawed.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Biden tells agencies to confront climate superpollutant
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 01:46:54 am »
By far, the greatest and most dangerous superpollutant in the Climate Change debate is bullshit.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 01:51:44 am »
...as required by legislation last year.
I would have to check but biden was not president last year so how is this a biden policy?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 01:54:15 am »
When R-12 was banned, a small propane tank sized container went from $99.00 to $999.00 overnight. Might be time to speculate...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 02:04:52 am »
After R-12 was outlawed, I was mixing my own HC-12 type replacement out of propane and iso-butane.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 02:05:42 am »
When R-12 was banned, a small propane tank sized container went from $99.00 to $999.00 overnight. Might be time to speculate...

Yup. 

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 02:17:31 am »
By far, the greatest and most dangerous superpollutant in the Climate Change debate is bullshit.

Amen!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 02:40:46 pm »
Hydrofluorocarbons may be a thousand times more potent in greenhouse gases, but are trillions of times less prevalent to begin with than CO2, which amounts to them being negligible to begin with.

Like the scare tactics they use "Did you know that your drinking water contains arsenic?", not saying that the amounts are so small that they pose zero threat to anyone.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 05:35:19 pm »
Golly you would think Joe wakes up each morning with only one thought on his mind 'How can I make life more difficult and expensive for Americans'.

Considering Joe's sad state of mental acuity I am sure that he can't recall the Montreal Protocols, though I'm sure if he could he would claim credit for them.

The United States ratified the Montreal Protocol in 1988 and has joined four subsequent amendments. ... The U.S. Senate unanimously approved U.S. ratification of the Montreal Protocol in 1988, and the treaty has continued to receive bipartisan support over the past thirty years.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 11:56:49 am »

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 12:36:17 pm »
Trump drags feet on climate treaty, and Republicans aren’t happy

https://www.rollcall.com/2019/05/13/trump-drags-feet-on-climate-treaty-and-republicans-arent-happy/

The United States may finally ratify the Kigali Amendment—with potential implementing legislation already underway

https://www.law.georgetown.edu/environmental-law-review/blog/the-united-states-may-finally-ratify-the-kigali-amendment-with-potential-implementing-legislation-already-underway/

Kerry wants it so he can sell more carbon credits and make more money...

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2021, 07:44:39 pm »
Kerry wants it so he can sell more carbon credits and make more money...
I am pretty sure Kerry is not smart enough to do that.

Only real skills he has is in medal throwing and finding rich women to marry to pay for his jet fuel pollution.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2021, 07:50:28 pm »
I am pretty sure Kerry is not smart enough to do that.

Only real skills he has is in medal throwing and finding rich women to marry to pay for his jet fuel pollution.

Wait.. that was al gore that was in the carbon credit business... my bad

Offline verga

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2021, 10:33:36 pm »
 :bkmk:
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2021, 02:57:22 am »
Wait.. that was al gore that was in the carbon credit business... my bad
Algore, Maurice Strong, and George Soros, IIRC, stood to make trillions if the Carbon credit scheme had become law.

C S Lewis