Author Topic: SpaceX’s orbital Starship launch debut may be pushed to 2022 by slow FAA reviews  (Read 327 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
TESLARATI  By Eric Ralph 9/21/2021

SpaceX’s orbital Starship launch debut may be pushed to 2022 by slow FAA reviews

In a rare sign of material progress, SpaceX and the FAA have finally released what is known as a draft environmental assessment (EA) of the company’s South Texas Starship launch plans.

Set to be the largest and most powerful rocket in spaceflight history when it first begins orbital launches, the process of acquiring permission to launch Starship and its Super Heavy booster out of the wetlands of the South Texas coast was never going to be easy. The Boca Chica site SpaceX ultimately settled on for its first private launch facilities – initially meant for Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy but later dedicated to BFR (now Starship) – is simultaneously surrounded by sensitive coastal habitats populated by several threatened or endangered species and situated mere miles as the crow flies from a city whose temporary population oscillates from a few thousand to tens of thousands.

Reception and analysis of the draft and its timing have been mixed. On one hand, SpaceX’s draft EA – completed with oversight from the FAA and help from the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) – gives a number of reasons for optimism. In a sign that SpaceX is taking a pragmatic approach to the inevitable environmental review and launch license approval hurdles standing in front of orbital South Texas Starship launches, the company has actually pursued what is known as a “programmatic environmental assessment” (PEA).

More: https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-starship-orbital-launch-delays-slow-faa-reviews/

Offline rustynail

Musk is being put in his place.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Musk is being put in his place.

I sure hope not. I'd sure hate to see him get shut down and have to move his Starbase to some place like Kourou.

Offline Idiot

Dang I hate to hear this.....

BassWrangler

Dang I hate to hear this.....

Me too. I was bristling at a NASA Twitter post the other day bragging about their space program. All I could think was "if you government asshats were the ones doing the actual work, it'd be another 100 years before we'd see the accomplishments SpaceX has achieved in just a few years."