Author Topic: Toilet paper really is terrible for the planet. Here’s what you can do about it  (Read 934 times)

rangerrebew

09-17-21

Toilet paper really is terrible for the planet. Here’s what you can do about it
No, you don’t have to stop wiping.

By Elizabeth Segran4 minute Read

Are you concerned about the devastating impact of climate change? Take a closer look at your toilet paper.

A new report from the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) reveals that the biggest toilet paper brands on the market—like Charmin, Cottonelle, and Quilted Northern—are contributing to global warming by destroying forests that pull carbon from the atmosphere. But the report also points out that consumers aren’t stuck with the big players: Brands like Seventh Generation and Trader Joe’s, along with startups like Who Gives a Crap and Grove Collaborative, offer more sustainable alternatives made from recycled paper and bamboo.

In the past, most consumers haven’t thought much about their toilet paper, says Shelley Vinyard, the author of the report. But that has changed over the past five years, as more sustainable brands have entered the market. “People didn’t know that a product they used for a second then flushed down the toilet could be causing significant harm to the planet and to the climate,” she says.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90677480/toilet-paper-really-is-terrible-for-the-planet-heres-what-you-can-do-about-it?partner=rss&utm_campaign=rss+fastcompany&utm_content=rss&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=rss

rangerrebew

:laughingdog:  No sh*t!

Offline EdinVA

Offline libertybele

It'll be yet another stupid mandate; using sustainable tp.  Supermarket brands like Charmin and Scott's and others will be forced to make sustainable tp.  Somehow recycled paper and bamboo don't seem very comforting and how if one is allergic to bamboo??

What does that mean?  Stock up now!  Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 07:14:40 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
3rd world shithole muslums have that problem under control. Saving the planet since Mohamad took his 1st 10 y/o bride.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline andy58-in-nh

There are currently more trees in existence on the planet than at any time in Earth's history, largely due to human influence in preventing the spread of wildfires that before humans arrived, used to burn uncontrolled across continents. 

In other words: they are full of shit. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
those forests the writer is whining about were planted for the express purpose of being made into paper.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The trees are all kept equal
By hatchet,
Axe,
And saw…
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online roamer_1

Lying bullcrap. Where I logged 30 years ago was indiscernible from the forest around it within a decade... within two decades it was ready to log again... But no timber sale... So now it all burned down...

Offline Smokin Joe

Lying bullcrap. Where I logged 30 years ago was indiscernible from the forest around it within a decade... within two decades it was ready to log again... But no timber sale... So now it all burned down...
It's nicer when you can use firewood one stick at a time, isn't it?
I'd bet it is more "environmentally friendly", too.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
TP is made to break down though, our whole sewage/septic system depends on that fact. We'd have major problems if it didn't.

Online roamer_1

It's nicer when you can use firewood one stick at a time, isn't it?
I'd bet it is more "environmentally friendly", too.

You can't tell me a dang thing about saving the trees when you let 250 thousand acres go up in toxic carbon laden smoke every year - And that is only Montana.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Yeah, pretty funny until you realize that the envirowahcko left is becoming highly successful with their brainwashing campaign.

Glad I am not 20 or 30, and will have to watch our society be taken back to the 19th century.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

BassWrangler

Is there anything the fzcking leftists won't ruin? First with the low flow toilets that one has to preemptively flush multiple times to ensure no blockage (thus eliminating any benefit in water consumption), and now they want to do away with TP?

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Around town there is so many trees just rotting that have been cut down and put by the side of the road for the city to pick up. The city is backed up to where it often takes freaking months for them to pick up piles of wood on the street sides.... it is a wood burners dream... I have probable 3 years of wood now ready... I know I have two + years so it will be good and dry by the time I get around to burning it. I have 4 chainsaws and only one back (bad back)... The middle men in the lumber industry make the money, not the land owners, so I decided not to sell my lumber right now.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Smokin Joe

You can't tell me a dang thing about saving the trees when you let 250 thousand acres go up in toxic carbon laden smoke every year - And that is only Montana.
Yeah, I'm a 'down-winder' who spent weeks out of his summer with gray skies, the smell of wood smoke, and red suns at noon from the policies of the people who bitch about my vehicle emissions. I quit smoking for this?

Normally here, you can see for miles, but this summer visibility was sometimes down to a few hundred yards because of the smoke in the air.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Is there anything the fzcking leftists won't ruin? First with the low flow toilets that one has to preemptively flush multiple times to ensure no blockage (thus eliminating any benefit in water consumption), and now they want to do away with TP?
Low flow shower heads. Take a half hour to get wet. (meet 3/8 drill bit, much mo bedda) I won't use much more water, but I get clean a lot quicker.

C S Lewis

BassWrangler

Low flow shower heads. Take a half hour to get wet. (meet 3/8 drill bit, much mo bedda) I won't use much more water, but I get clean a lot quicker.

Here's a tip: on many of those you can just pull the flow restrictor out with a pair of needle-nose pliers - no drilling necessary.

Offline rustynail

Eat more fiber.

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
The trees are all kept equal
By hatchet,
Axe,
And saw…
I c what u did there... :yowsa:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Polly Ticks

Bidet attachments are cheap and easy to install. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Remember when gasoline cans were decently easibly operable?  There isn't anything the envirowhackos have caused that has made life better for people.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
I c what u did there... :yowsa:

Let's not Rush to conclusions.....

We need a Bastille Day to deal with Envirowhackos
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 12:21:32 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

It was the West's abundant supply of toilet paper which help defeat the Soviet Union.

Only a commie would be anti-TP.

5 simple things people dreamed about in the Soviet Union
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

BassWrangler

Remember when gasoline cans were decently easibly operable?  There isn't anything the envirowhackos have caused that has made life better for people.

Oh yes, without the ridiculous valve you have to hold open while you pour.