Author Topic: America Needs Accountability on Afghanistan  (Read 71 times)

rangerrebew

America Needs Accountability on Afghanistan
« on: September 18, 2021, 05:10:27 pm »

America Needs Accountability on Afghanistan
September 13, 2021 |

Laura Thomas
Former Case Officer- CIA

Cipher Brief Expert Laura E. Thomas is a former CIA case officer and Chief of Base in Afghanistan, who led sensitive CIA programs at CIA Headquarters and abroad in multiple, international assignments. She has subject matter expertise in the intersection of national security and emerging technology and has served over 15 years in various national security and leadership roles.  She now serves as the Senior Director of National Security Solutions for quantum computing and sensing company, ColdQuanta.

OPINION — Last week, I lost my composure as I entered the Dulles airport international arrivals area after a transatlantic flight. Scores of Afghan refugees stood between me and the process I had done countless of times – enter the United States after stints abroad, often on CIA assignments. These Afghans were certainly tired, most likely poor, and a huddled mass. Despite the immense challenges many will face integrating into a new society, they represent the fortunate few. Many Afghan allies, including U.S. citizens and U.S. Green Card holders, remain in Afghanistan, along with U.S. Government credibility, if we do not keep pressure on the Taliban to allow them to depart.

Americans should know the truth about what happened in Afghanistan in the last days of the official U.S. presence there. While we cannot treat talking about the problem the same as solving it, this truth-telling is the first step to holding U.S. leadership and the Taliban accountable. Acknowledging what we did wrong does not mean succumbing to it. Accountability matters. Without it, we repeat the same old thinking and actions. With it, we can take the difficult and complex steps forward to address our policy and planning shortcomings, as well as devise short, mid, and long-term strategies to relocate those Afghans who risk being hunted down and executed by the Taliban as a result of their work for the United States.

https://www.thecipherbrief.com/column_article/america-needs-accountability-on-afghanistan