Author Topic: Gov. Newsom abolishes most single-family zoning in California  (Read 1012 times)

rangerrebew

Gov. Newsom abolishes most single-family zoning in California
« on: September 17, 2021, 08:11:17 pm »
 Gov. Newsom abolishes most single-family zoning in California
SB 9 allows up to four units on many single-family lots

By Marisa Kendall | mkendall@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: September 16, 2021 at 6:30 p.m. | UPDATED: September 17, 2021 at 11:54 a.m.

In one of his first actions after surviving an election seeking to oust him from office, Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday essentially abolished single-family zoning in California — and green-lighted a series of bills intended to bolster the state’s housing production.

By signing Senate Bill 9 into law, Newsom opened the door for the development of up to four residential units on single-family lots across California. The move follows a growing push by local governments to allow multi-family dwellings in more residential neighborhoods. Berkeley voted to eliminate single-family zoning by Dec. 2022, and San Jose is set to consider the issue next month.

While opponents fear such a sweeping change will destroy the character of residential neighborhoods, supporters hail it as a necessary way to combat the state’s persistent housing crisis and correct city zoning laws that have contributed to racial segregation.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2021/09/16/gov-newsom-abolishes-single-family-zoning-in-california/

Offline skeeter

Re: Gov. Newsom abolishes most single-family zoning in California
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 08:13:00 pm »
Gotta have housing ready for all those Haitians, afghanis and illegals.

Online rustynail

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 08:40:18 pm »
There will now be fourplexes in Beverly Hills?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 01:15:47 pm »
Urbanizing an entire state.

Watch for the home price index go haywire.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 01:18:37 pm »
[quote =skeeter link=topic=448620.msg2497939#msg2497939 date=1631909580]
Gotta have housing ready for all those Haitians, afghanis and illegals.
[/quote]

@skeeter

FREE housing,which will be paid for by the suckers who own the land and whose single family houses will be destroyed to build new Kruschev Housing.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 01:19:42 pm »
There will now be fourplexes in Beverly Hills?

@rustynail

Well,maybe not Beverly Hills. After all,SOME standards need to be maintained to show the serfs how their masters live.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 01:22:22 pm »
Urbanizing an entire state.

Watch for the home price index go haywire.

@IsailedawayfromFR

Not to worry. Once Ca declares bankruptcy,they will just bill the people in fly-over country for the new housing.

We iz da wurld.......

We iz da peep-pulls......

Sing it,comrades!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 01:27:50 pm »
 What California’s new SB9 housing law means for single-family zoning in your neighborhood

Experts say the vast majority of properties and neighborhoods will not be affected

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2021/09/17/what-californias-new-sb9-law-means-for-single-family-zoning-in-your-neighborhood/

Here are answers to some questions you may have about these new laws.

What is Senate Bill 9?

Senate Bill 9 is the most controversial of the two new laws. It allows property owners to split a single-family lot into two lots, add a second home to their lot or split their lot into two and place duplexes on each. The last option would create four housing units on a property currently limited to a single-family house.

The new law will mark a shift from current policies that allow only two large units — a stand-alone house and an accessory dwelling unit — on single-family lots, as well as an attached junior unit no larger than 500 square feet.

Under the new law, cities and counties across California will be required to approve development proposals that meet specified size and design standards.

What are the caveats?

The law is designed to create additional housing while also preserving low-income, affordable units.

A proposed project under this new law cannot result in the demolition or alteration of affordable or rent-controlled housing or market-rate housing that has been occupied by a tenant in the past three years. Properties listed as historic landmarks or those located within a historic district are off-limits for new development. Wetlands, farmland and properties at high risk of fire or flooding are also exempt.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Newsom Says Biden Supported His Move to Abolish Suburbs in California
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 01:56:10 pm »

by Collin Rugg
about 15 hours ago

California Governor Gavin Newsom’s first move after he beat the recall effort in California was to sign legislation allowing lots to be subdivided which would effectively eliminate suburbs.

The legislation was obviously frowned upon by suburban voters. As The New York Times reported, lawmakers were worried about “angering suburban voters, whose preferences for single-family home living have been regarded as politically sacrosanct.”

SB 9 “was furiously opposed by homeowners and local government groups who said it ‘crushes single-family zoning’ and would be ‘the beginning of the end of homeownership in California,'” the Times said.

In a statement, Newsom’s office announced that President Joe Biden supported their decision to allow the subdivision of land which begs the question: Will Biden try to abolish suburbs throughout America?

more
https://trendingpolitics.com/newsom-says-biden-supported-his-move-to-abolish-suburbs-in-california-crugg/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Re: Newsom Says Biden Supported His Move to Abolish Suburbs in California
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 02:03:28 pm »
Didn't Trump mention this during the campaign?

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2021, 02:09:53 pm »
Man's hell bent on destroying his tax base.  Good luck with that.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2021, 02:12:06 pm »
If he doesn't like suburbs why is he so happy with immigration? Without a constant stream of foreigners this state's population would be shrinking.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2021, 02:22:04 pm »
Mr. Good Hair likes being King.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2021, 02:30:15 pm »

It would increase the tax base... more properties, more income, more people... That is what he is after.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2021, 02:35:38 pm »
Didn't Trump mention this during the campaign?

He more than mentioned it.    happy77

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2021, 02:52:02 pm »
It would increase the tax base... more properties, more income, more people... That is what he is after.

lol
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2021, 03:01:43 pm »

I can't remember the last time low-income housing increased a tax base.  My experience says it will lower surrounding prop values and have the opposite effect.  I know i'm not an economics expert like say, Congressgirl AOC, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2021, 03:05:04 pm »
I can't remember the last time low-income housing increased a tax base.  My experience says it will lower surrounding prop values and have the opposite effect.  I know i'm not an economics expert like say, Congressgirl AOC, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once.

What makes you think it will be low income?  If you take a $500,000 property and put 5 apartments on it, you have to recover $100K plus demo, and construction costs before you even make a profit so you likely looking at $300K homes minimum...

Online DB

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2021, 03:08:22 pm »

A lot cut in half can now have two houses. The two houses are taxed at a higher rate than one in most places - especially California. In addition any new construction is taxed at the the current market value while the original house's taxes are locked in by prop 13 to when the property was originally purchased with a maximum of 2% increase per year.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2021, 03:12:02 pm »
What makes you think it will be low income?  If you take a $500,000 property and put 5 apartments on it, you have to recover $100K plus demo, and construction costs before you even make a profit so you likely looking at $300K homes minimum...

When law makers like Gov Good Hair use the term "Affordable housing" it is code for low income housing.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2021, 03:15:10 pm »
When law makers like Gov Good Hair use the term "Affordable housing" it is code for low income housing.
That could be, not really familiar with CA real estate, but it will be a net gain in tax revenue given an overall increase in homes.  If you take my example from my last post, you would turn $500K property into a $1.5 million property as far as taxes are concerned but the individual houses may cost a bit less.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2021, 03:16:39 pm »

Sounds like Newsom's intent is to have nothing but Housing Projects and Mansions of the uber wealthy.  Guess that works as long as Uncle Sugar stays solvent.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2021, 11:29:46 pm »
Sounds like Newsom's intent is to have nothing but Housing Projects and Mansions of the uber wealthy.  Guess that works as long as Uncle Sugar stays solvent.

@catfish1957

Well,it is more convenient for everyone to have the slaves living close to the masters.

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2021, 08:12:36 pm »
He is going back to the squatters' camps of the Grapes of Wrath where the servants lived in minimum housing in order to serve the masters.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2021, 02:14:27 am »

by Collin Rugg
about 15 hours ago

California Governor Gavin Newsom’s first move after he beat the recall effort in California was to sign legislation allowing lots to be subdivided which would effectively eliminate suburbs.

The legislation was obviously frowned upon by suburban voters. As The New York Times reported, lawmakers were worried about “angering suburban voters, whose preferences for single-family home living have been regarded as politically sacrosanct.”

SB 9 “was furiously opposed by homeowners and local government groups who said it ‘crushes single-family zoning’ and would be ‘the beginning of the end of homeownership in California,'” the Times said.

In a statement, Newsom’s office announced that President Joe Biden supported their decision to allow the subdivision of land which begs the question: Will Biden try to abolish suburbs throughout America?

more
https://trendingpolitics.com/newsom-says-biden-supported-his-move-to-abolish-suburbs-in-california-crugg/
Shows what a weakling he is.

A governor like DeSantis asks nobody for permission, other than his own citizens who he represents.