Author Topic: 101-year-old Maine woman still hauling lobsters with no plans to stop  (Read 124 times)

Offline libertybele

Unbelievable; Go Granny Go!!

101-year-old Maine woman still hauling lobsters with no plans to stop

When Virginia Oliver started trapping lobster off Maine’s rocky coast, World War II was more than a decade in the future, the electronic traffic signal was a recent invention and few women were harvesting lobsters.

At 101-years-old, Oliver is the oldest lobster fisher in the state and possibly the oldest one in the world. She still faithfully checks her traps off of Rockland, Maine, with her 78-year-old son Max.

Her passion for lobster trapping began when she was just 8-years-old. These days, she catches them using a boat that belonged to her late husband that’s called the “Virginia.”

Oliver said she has no intention to stop but is concerned about the health of Maine’s lobster population, which is under heavy fishing pressure.

“I’ve done it all my life, so I might as well keep doing it,” Oliver said.

The lobster industry has changed over the course of Oliver’s many decades on the water, and lobsters have grown from a working-class food to a delicacy. The lobsters fetched 28 cents a pound on the docks when she first starting trapping them; now, it’s 15 times that.  ..............

https://abc-7.com/news/2021/09/16/101-year-old-maine-woman-still-hauling-lobsters-doesnt-plan-on-stopping/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.