Author Topic: Toyota, Honda Angry After Getting Shut Out of Electric Car Tax Credit  (Read 595 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The U.S. Congress has big plans for electric vehicles (EVs), but two of the world's biggest automakers were stunned Saturday to find out they'd been kicked to the curb.

Honda and Toyota registered their fury at Democratic lawmakers, who proposed to expand tax credits for EVs, but only for union-made cars assembled in the U.S. That would leave the Japanese automakers — and Elon Musk's Tesla — in the rear view of their American rivals.

A More Electric Union
President Joe Biden wants electric vehicles to make up 50% of U.S. vehicle sales by 2030. As it stands, that's a very long way away: battery electric vehicles (BEVs) account for just 2.2% of U.S. sales, according to PwC. The good news is there's a future where billions worth of EV sales will be up for grabs.

In order to get there, the House Ways and Means Committee will vote Tuesday on whether to put forward a proposal to help close America's EV gap by offering huge tax credits. The problem, Honda and Toyota say, is it massively favours the Big Three US automakers, GM, Ford, and Fiat Chrysler:

The proposal would expand tax credits for U.S. electric vehicles to $12,500 per vehicle, but only for cars made in the U.S. at unionized plants.
That would leave Toyota, Honda, and Tesla — which all make cars in the U.S. and employ Americans, but not at unionized facilities — on the sidelines. Their EV credits would stay where they are now, at $7,500 per vehicle.
Honda, which has factories in Ohio, Alabama, and Indiana, said the proposal "discriminates among EVs made by hard-working American auto workers based simply on whether they belong to a union."
https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/09/12/toyota-honda-angry-after-getting-shut-out-of-elect/

How to force a union shop by Joe Biden
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline EdinVA

Re: Toyota, Honda Angry After Getting Shut Out of Electric Car Tax Credit
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 02:29:11 am »
Well, at least we can take comfort in the fact that Pelosi/Biden/Schumer (PBS) are screwing everyone..

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 05:32:58 am »
Because Unions are grateful (the Big Guy gets 10%)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 03:41:50 pm »
In other electric vehicle news:
Written by Steven Loveday on Sep 17, 2021.
GM Asks Chevy Bolt Owners To Park 50 Feet Away From Other Cars

We can arguably say that GM is taking the necessary precautions to try to keep people safe. It has recalled every single Bolt EV and Bolt EUV ever built.

With the recall, the cars’ battery packs will be replaced, they will get more range, and the warranty will start fresh.

Added to this, GM has issued several instructions to help Bolt owners assure that they don’t end up hurt or killed, and, moreover, that others aren’t put in potentially dangerous situations.

We’ve also heard that GM will supply a loaner and cover gasoline purchases for Bolt owners, though we’ve read in several forums that getting the loaner and the gas paid for has been a huge chore.

Now, GM has asked all Bolt owners to be sure to park on the top level of parking decks, at least 50 feet away from all other cars. ...
Climate Change Dispatch

:silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 03:42:54 pm »
Just a sop to the union bosses who used rank-and-file money to bankroll democrat elections (and election fraud).

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 03:36:41 am »
 @IsailedawayfromFR

The globalist traitors want to punich them for not allowing 3rd world refugees like Muslims into Japan to "work" in the Japanese industries so they can destroy the quality contral like they have everwhere else they have infected with their parasitic presence.

This is why  the Japanese are still producing top quality cars for sale in the global market,while countries like Sweden suddenly have the Volvo being one of the LEAST reliable cars of 2021.

Think about THAT one for a minute. They might not have been sexy or sporty,but Volvo's have always been as reliable as a rock,and now they are the least reliable family car of 2021. It's because the squareheads import the Muslims and then force their corporations to hire denizens from the 12th century to work in 21st century plants. Or at least to pretend to work there.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 01:23:26 pm »
@IsailedawayfromFR

The globalist traitors want to punich them for not allowing 3rd world refugees like Muslims into Japan to "work" in the Japanese industries so they can destroy the quality contral like they have everwhere else they have infected with their parasitic presence.

This is why  the Japanese are still producing top quality cars for sale in the global market,while countries like Sweden suddenly have the Volvo being one of the LEAST reliable cars of 2021.

Think about THAT one for a minute. They might not have been sexy or sporty,but Volvo's have always been as reliable as a rock,and now they are the least reliable family car of 2021. It's because the squareheads import the Muslims and then force their corporations to hire denizens from the 12th century to work in 21st century plants. Or at least to pretend to work there.
I do not disagree with you.

Years ago I owned two 1994 camrys, identical in every way down to color except one thing:  One was made in the USA and one in Japan.

The US made one had all sorts of problems before 100k, rattled and finally caught fire when my daughter was driving it after about 8 years old.
The Japanese made one always drove well, nothing went wrong with it, and could not be killed no matter what I did with it.  Finally after 15 years I sold it with well over 200k.....

That experience was repeated with my 2003 4runner which I just sold with 222k on it.

I sold it to buy another 2018 4runner as I found out that the only two Toyota vehicles sold in the US still made in Japan are the 4runner and the Prius, and I sure was not going to buy a Prius.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 01:30:13 pm »
I do not disagree with you.

Years ago I owned two 1994 camrys, identical in every way down to color except one thing:  One was made in the USA and one in Japan.

The US made one had all sorts of problems before 100k, rattled and finally caught fire when my daughter was driving it after about 8 years old.
The Japanese made one always drove well, nothing went wrong with it, and could not be killed no matter what I did with it.  Finally after 15 years I sold it with well over 200k.....

That experience was repeated with my 2003 4runner which I just sold with 222k on it.

Conversely I bought a New Subie Crosstrek MY13. I spec ordered it an it was made in Japan. It was recalled 3 times and was not a quality ride. Lost of rattles and squeaks the stealership couldn't wouldn't fix.
Traded it 2020 for a new Outback that was made in the USA (Indiana I think).  This thig rocks. so YMMV when it comes to cars.  Some are suck no matter if a Jap robot or an american one builds it!  :)
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 01:34:49 pm »
I toured the BMW plant in NC a few years back and was surprised to learn that all the entire car, except for the sheet metal body, was manufactured in Europe and sent over for us to slap on the wheels, stamp out the body and slap on some paint then bolt the body on.... we are doing nothing here but earning shipping costs.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 01:53:26 pm »
Well damn...  Those companies  should have bid on Hunter's art. Don't they know how this thing works?  :cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 02:08:35 pm »
Here's what we have to look forward to when the market is pushed aside and government dictates what companies must produce.

Deserted Factories Show How China Electric Car Boom Went Too Far
Visitors to Byton Ltd.’s website are greeted with color-saturated images of shiny electric cars gliding along manicured streets. Those paying a visit to the automaker’s factory in Nanjing, eastern China may be less impressed. The plant is modern and huge, gleaming under the hot summer sun. But there’s total silence. Production has been suspended since the pandemic began and there’s no one around except for a lone security guard.

It’s a similar situation across town at Bordrin Motors. Weeds dot the factory’s perimeter and there’s a court notice pasted to the main gate announcing the electric carmaker’s bankruptcy.

Bordrin and Byton represent the flip side of China’s EV success. While home-grown stars like Nio Inc. and Xpeng Inc. have gone on to raise billions of dollars and are now selling cars in numbers that rival Tesla Inc., scores more have fallen by the wayside, unable to raise the crazy amounts of capital needed to make automobiles at scale.

In many cases, they were lured into existence by provincial governments dangling cash and other incentives to make Beijing’s dream of turning China into an EV powerhouse a reality. Local authorities helped manufacturers set up factories that promised jobs and development -- if they succeeded. But the tide began to turn in November, when regulators asked regional governments to review and report back on the scale of their support for the auto industry.

Alarmed by unbridled investment in the sector -- and the bankruptcies and zombified factories that came with it -- Beijing is applying the brakes.

“We have too many EV firms,” Xiao Yaqing, China’s minister for industry and information technology, told reporters Sept. 13. Mergers and acquisitions will be encouraged as the market needs to be further concentrated, he said. The government is also looking at setting production limits for the EV sector, people familiar with the matter told Bloomberg News this month, with provinces unable to green-light new projects until surplus capacity comes online. Resources will also be channeled into a few select EV hubs.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/deserted-factories-show-china-electric-210000505.html

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 02:23:21 pm »
Well damn...  Those companies  should have bid on Hunter's art. Don't they know how this thing works?  :cool:

That or wrote more big checks to the DNC.  I know EXACTLY how all this works!

Uncle sugar gives money to Solandra for research and a large portion of that money winds up in DNC campaign coffers. Same with Planned Parenthood and many others.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 02:28:10 pm »
I toured the BMW plant in NC a few years back and was surprised to learn that all the entire car, except for the sheet metal body, was manufactured in Europe and sent over for us to slap on the wheels, stamp out the body and slap on some paint then bolt the body on.... we are doing nothing here but earning shipping costs.

The miracle of customs import duty arbitrage.  Bringing in parts is cheaper than bringing in the entire vehicle, because, at least from the perspective of import duties, a lot of value-add arises from turning miscellaneous components into a finished, drivable car.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 02:32:54 pm »
Democrats  -  Opposing Equal Protection since 1836.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 02:34:37 pm »

Looks like Toyota and Honda need to spend more money on lobbying.  Lobbying is the new protection racket.  It's amazing how hiring the correct lobbyists can make certain problems disappear.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2021, 10:19:30 pm »
I reckon the primary reason that Toyota nor Honda were excluded from these credits is because BOTH of them refused to sign onto an "all electric car" production future. In fact, I recall that Toyota even issued a statement to the effect that it had no intention of giving up internal combustion powered vehicles...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 11:07:42 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2021, 11:52:15 pm »
I reckon the primary reason that Toyota nor Honda were excluded from these credits is because BOTH of them refused to sign onto an "all electric car" production future. In fact, I recall that Toyota even issued a statement to the effect that it had no intention of giving up internal combustion powered vehicles...

@Fishrrman

Also,the Japanese MUST be punished for not taking in foreign refugees and giving them positions with pay and no work.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!