Author Topic: Klobuchar Calls For The Killing of Filibuster Despite a Call for its Full Restoration During The Kav  (Read 85 times)

rangerrebew

Klobuchar Calls For The Killing of Filibuster Despite a Call for its Full Restoration During The Kavanaugh Confirmation

I have previously noted the curious positions of some senators who want to preserve the filibuster but only if it is not used to block legislation that they are demanding.  For example, Sen. Angus King (I., Maine) has declared that he supports the filibuster but would kill it if it is used to block the federalization of elections. The point of a filibuster is that forces compromise on divisive issues. However, the relativistic position on the filibuster continued today with Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D., Minn.). The senator previously called for the preservation of the filibuster but now wants it killed after the Supreme Court last week declined to block a Texas abortion law.

I will not repeat my prior columns addressing misleading analysis on the Supreme Court order which neither upheld the Texas law nor overturned Roe v. Wade. However, the order has been used by Democrats to repeat demands for an array of radical reforms from packing the Court to killing the filibuster.

Sen. Klobuchar has responded by adding her own voice to the call for ending the filibuster. On Sunday, the Senator told CNN:

https://jonathanturley.org/2021/09/05/klobuchar-calls-for-the-killing-of-filibuster-despite-prior-comments-calling-for-its-preservation/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
A few thoughts...

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the vice president gets to vote (as a tie breaker) on parliamentary rule changes in the Senate.

So if the Pubbies hang tough, the DCP couldn't get 51 votes to change the rule, anyway.

Having said that, I asked this a day or two ago, and will ask again:
Is Dianne Feinstein currently showing up in the Senate?
I read that she literally dropped out of sight a couple of weeks ago due to health reasons.
I could be wrong.