Author Topic: Academy Cadets Who Have Kids Must Legally Give Them Up — The CADET Act Would Change That  (Read 88 times)

rangerrebew

Academy Cadets Who Have Kids Must Legally Give Them Up — The CADET Act Would Change That
Mil & Intel   

By Maggie BenZvi | September 05, 2021

Melissa Hemphill took the pregnancy test that changed her life in a Walmart bathroom. She was a junior at the US Air Force Academy, a potential Olympian pole vaulter, and the oldest of eight kids in a large Catholic family; a child was definitely not part of her plans.

Hemphill, whose maiden name is Beerse, was fully aware that rules governing all five US service academies — the Air Force, Naval, Military, Coast Guard, and Merchant Marine academies — forbade cadets and midshipmen from having dependents, a requirement for service that exists nowhere else in the military, nor in civilian ROTC programs. Since the father of Hemphill’s child was also a cadet, they faced a short list of terrible choices. But both were determined to graduate.

https://coffeeordie.com/service-academy-parents-cadet-act/
“Keep the family together, still graduate,” became their mantra.

Offline AARguy

Being a Cadet is all-consuming. There is no time for anything else. If you are too immature to wait for babies until you can you can care for them and raise them responsibly, you certainly have no place in an Academy. Your judgement is flawed. And flawed judgement is not a good trait in a leader of any sort, especially an Officer in whose hands the lives of others reside. I say that as a West Point graduate. As a citizen I would say that my money should  not be invested in someone so preoccupied with other things than their being a Cadet.