Author Topic: Louisianans scramble to find fuel for generators after Ida  (Read 105 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Louisianans scramble to find fuel for generators after Ida
« on: September 04, 2021, 01:30:19 pm »
Reuters By Stephanie Kelly and Devika Krishna Kumar, Karl Plume 9/4/2021

Storm-battered Louisiana residents and area businesses, who have endured almost a week without electricity, are having trouble finding generators or fuel to power them, making it difficult for residents to cool their homes after Hurricane Ida.

Ida's severe winds knocked out power to more than one million homes and businesses. Unlike other recent fuel crunches, such as the ransomware attack that forced the Colonial Pipeline to shut in May, supply is not the only problem. Many gas stations are without power, keeping them from operating, and making it harder for residents to fill generators.

Residents are not the only ones scrambling.

Nearly a dozen grain export terminals dotted along the Mississippi River from Baton Rouge to the Gulf of Mexico have been without power all week, disrupting export shipments from the country's biggest grain exporting port.

More than two-thirds of stations were without fuel in Baton Rouge and New Orleans as of Friday, the most populous cities in the state, according to GasBuddy.com.

More: https://www.reuters.com/world/us/louisianans-scramble-find-fuel-generators-after-ida-2021-09-04/

This reminds me of seeing all the people lined up with their gas jugs after hurricane Rita.  I was out of power for 2 weeks. Fortunately I had converted my 2.5 kw gen to propane years before and I had a full 100lb propane bottle. When the bottle was getting down to around half full, I took a drive looking to see where I could get a fill up. I went about 25 miles before I found a propane place running on generator power that could fill my bottle. Instead, while I was there I picked up a full 60 lb bottle.  Later I tied in the generator into my natural gas bbq tap.

Because of the difficulties getting fuel for generators after a disaster, I highly recommend generator owners to convert to propane and nat gas if available and have a large propane bottle on hand.