Author Topic: Records Show Fleeing House Democrats Collected Taxpayer-Funded Per Diem Payments  (Read 255 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Scorecard by Brandon Waltens August 31, 2021

While 11 Democrat members had indicated they would decline or return their per diem payments, only one as of August 6 had actually done so.

While 11 Democrat members had indicated they would decline or return their per diem payments, only Democrat State Rep. Bobby Guerra (McAllen) had actually sent a check back to the state, in the amount of $4,416.93.

According to the House Business Office payroll records, between the dates of July 12 and August 2, Democrats were paid a total of $389,664.00 in per diem pay. That number has only increased during the second special session, when Democrats spent nearly the first half of the session busting quorum.

“The Texas Freedom Coalition believes that the actions by the Texas House Democratic Caucus has hurt everyday, hardworking Texans whose taxes are used to fund the 87th Texas Legislative Special Session, with the expectation that their legislators will show up to work,” the group said in a statement. “The Texas Freedom Coalition also believes that the Texas House Democratic Caucus break in quorum has been used by high-profile Texas Democrats to fundraise and campaign, some on a national level, and on the backs of Texas taxpayers.”

More: https://texasscorecard.com/state/records-show-fleeing-house-democrats-collected-taxpayer-funded-per-diem-payments/

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Why not just pass legislation now to recoup that money?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Why not just pass legislation now to recoup that money?

I'm afraid that would be an "ex post facto law".

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I'm afraid that would be an "ex post facto law".
Sure it is,  but the dems do it all the time in DC
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington