Author Topic: Saudis Sign Military Cooperation Agreement With Russia  (Read 148 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Saudis Sign Military Cooperation Agreement With Russia
« on: August 25, 2021, 11:21:03 am »
Radio Free Europe 8/24/2021

Saudi Arabia and Russia have signed a military cooperation agreement at an arms expo outside Moscow.

Saudi Deputy Defense Minister Khalid bin Salman announced on Twitter on August 24 that he signed the agreement with Russian Deputy Defense Minister Alexander Fomin “aimed at developing joint military cooperation between the two countries.”

Salman also met with Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu during his visit outside Moscow to the arms expo International Military-Technical Forum Army-2021.

The deputy defense minister said the meeting explored ways to "strengthen military and defense cooperation between our two countries."

There were no immediate details of the military agreement between Saudi Arabia, the world’s top arms importer, and Russia, the second largest weapons exporter after the United States.

The United States has traditionally been the top arms supplier to Saudi Arabia. According to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, Saudi Arabia was the main recipient of U.S. arms transfers in 2016–20, accounting for 24 percent of U.S. arms exports.

More: https://www.rferl.org/a/saudi-russia-arms-weapons-/31425164.html

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Saudis Sign Military Cooperation Agreement With Russia
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 01:44:29 pm »
Coupled with OPEC telling Biden "No" when he requested they increase production, this is a statement of hostile intent, not that I have great love for the Saudis, but we have 5 military bases there.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bilo

Re: Saudis Sign Military Cooperation Agreement With Russia
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 04:25:54 pm »
Coupled with OPEC telling Biden "No" when he requested they increase production, this is a statement of hostile intent, not that I have great love for the Saudis, but we have 5 military bases there.

I can't fault the Saudi's. They see that an incompetent Biden is going to lead to a nuclear Iran and that they can't depend on the USA. Russia's biggest business, other than oil, is weapons sales. I think it's a safe bet that they will be looking to buy nuclear weapons in the near future.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home