Author Topic: It's Time for Veterans and Military Families to Let Go of Afghanistan -- But Not Forget  (Read 64 times)

rangerrebew

It's Time for Veterans and Military Families to Let Go of Afghanistan -- But Not Forget

17 Aug 2021
Military.com | By Corie Weathers

Corie Weathers is a licensed professional counselor specializing in military families and first responders.

If I drew out our family story line, 2009 is where our path takes a dramatic turn, with a pinpoint that says "Afghanistan." My husband wasn't injured during his two deployments, but his soul was. Like thousands of other service members, he was exposed to the darkness of a war-torn country.

As a chaplain, he tended to injured, abused or burned children and villagers in the operating room and aid station of his forward operating base. After just five months, he called me as he was preparing to deliver a Red Cross message to one of his troops. I could hear the emptiness in his voice when he confessed that he felt as though he were walking hand-in-hand with death.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/opinions/2021/08/17/its-time-veterans-and-military-families-let-go-of-afghanistan-not-forget.html

rangerrebew

There are still vestiges of the Civil War alive and well in the South.  Many still refer to the War as "THE WAR OF NORTHERN AGGRESSION."  Yet at the 75th anniversary of the battle of Gettysburg, soldiers of both sides came together to mark the occasion in peace and rememberance at a place that is nearly holy to all who follow the war.  So it's hard to forget but in time everyone needs to move on. :grouphug: