Author Topic: House Barely Achieves Elusive Quorum Again, Texas GOP Calls for Consequences  (Read 232 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Scorecard by Jeramy Kitchen August 23, 2021

House Barely Achieves Elusive Quorum Again, Texas GOP Calls for Consequences

With only 13 days potentially remaining in the ongoing Special Session, the Texas House of Representatives is limping along with a quorum that remains tenuous at best while still having not penalized absent lawmakers.

The Republican Party of Texas is calling for action after Democrats once again nearly derailed proceedings in the Texas House of Representatives.

As the  House attempted to convene Monday, they once again narrowly achieved a quorum, or the attendance necessary to conduct legislative business, but only after waiting for over 90 minutes beyond the scheduled start time.

Last week, after 37 days of paralysis, the Texas House of Representatives finally achieved a quorum, convened quickly, and began referring bills to various House committees related to Gov. Greg Abbott’s special session agenda before adjourning until late Monday afternoon.

Several House Democrats Release Statement Cautioning “A Quorum is Not Perpetual”

Earlier Monday, 32 House Democrat lawmakers released a joint statement,

“Some of our Democratic colleagues may be returning to the House floor intermittently to object and preserve a record on the voter intimidation and suppression bill, as well as other pieces of legislation which are harmful to vulnerable Texas families. However, we and our allies and advocates recognize that any Member, at any time, has the right to break quorum should they deem it necessary.”

Republican Party of Texas Calls for Consequences

Before the House convened Monday, the Republican Party of Texas indicated support for three measures as a response to ensuring this does not happen again:

Removing quorum-breaking Democrats as Committee Chairs.
    Amend the rules to automatically revoke committee chairmanships of any member with 15 or more unexcused absences.
    Enforce a call of the House and arrest absent members if a quorum is not maintained.

“Democrats have played this childish political charade for far too long. Now that House Republicans have the power of a quorum they should vote immediately to remove Democrat Committee chairs and take action to maintain a quorum in the future,” said Matt Rinaldi, Chairman of the Republican Party of Texas before the House gaveled in Monday.

More: https://texasscorecard.com/uncategorized/house-barely-achieves-elusive-quorum-again-texas-gop-calls-for-consequences/

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

As long as there is a quorum, everything is ok.

Just pass the damn legislation as there will be fewer dissenting votes.

Item #1: strip flee baggers of income received during their absence.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
As long as there is a quorum, everything is ok.

Just pass the damn legislation as there will be fewer dissenting votes.

Item #1: strip flee baggers of income received during their absence.

https://twitter.com/MattShaheen/status/1430251527856443396

I thought this might be of interest @IsailedawayfromFR
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien