Author Topic: What I Learned While Eavesdropping on the Taliban  (Read 63 times)

rangerrebew

What I Learned While Eavesdropping on the Taliban
« on: August 23, 2021, 12:10:21 pm »
 What I Learned While Eavesdropping on the Taliban

I spent 600 hours listening in on the people who now run Afghanistan. It wasn’t until the end of my tour that I understood what they were telling me.
By Ian Fritz
August 21, 2021

When people ask me what I did in Afghanistan, I tell them that I hung out in planes and listened to the Taliban. My job was to provide “threat warning” to allied forces, and so I spent most of my time trying to discern the Taliban’s plans. Before I started, I was cautioned that I would hear terrible things, and I most certainly did. But when you listen to people for hundreds of hours—even people who are trying to kill your friends—you hear ordinary things as well.

On rare occasions, they could even make me laugh. One winter in northern Afghanistan, where the average elevation is somewhere above 7,000 feet and the average temperature is somewhere below freezing, the following discussion took place:

“Go place the IED down there, at the bend; they won’t see it.”

“It can wait ’til morning.”

https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2021/08/what-i-learned-while-eavesdropping-taliban/184676/