Author Topic: Texas House Can Compel Democrat Attendance by Arrest, Supreme Court Rules  (Read 293 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

The Texas House may compel the attendance of its members by arrest if necessary, the state Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday. The court opinion comes after over a month without a legislative quorum in the Texas House.
Democratic members have been camping out in Washington, D.C. or other undisclosed locations in order to prevent a GOP-backed election reform bill from passing. Originally, nearly 60 members flew to D.C. but that number has dwindled since as some returned to Austin and others went elsewhere, including overseas.

Last week, Speaker Dade Phelan (R-Beaumont) issued 52 civil arrest warrants for Democrats still breaking quorum, but no arrests have occurred since. Some Democrats sued, securing a preliminary victory when a Travis County district court ruled that the state could not arrest truant members. That order was promptly but temporarily halted by the Texas Supreme Court pending further review.

That review was delivered Tuesday when Justice Jimmy Blacklock wrote the court’s opinion, stating, “The legal question before this Court concerns only whether the Texas Constitution gives the House of Representatives the authority to physically compel the attendance of absent members.”

“We conclude that it does, and we therefore direct the district court to withdraw the [temporary restraining order].”
The 52 members whose arrest warrants were issued are listed below:
https://thetexan.news/texas-house-can-compel-democrat-attendance-by-arrest-supreme-court-rules/
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Time to begin rounding them up.

Put a price on their heads and send bounty hunters to bring them back, alive.

And to make it fun, brand them with a MAGA on the arm so we can spot them more easily next time.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
In all of this business with the Texas fleebags, I have yet to hear the one magic word that will make it all work:  Extradition.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
In all of this business with the Texas fleebags, I have yet to hear the one magic word that will make it all work:  Extradition.

Extradition only works when there is agreement between the two governments.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Extradition only works when there is agreement between the two governments.

I understand there's an agreement among the 50 states, but is there one with the District of Columbia?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I understand there's an agreement among the 50 states, but is there one with the District of Columbia?

Are these agreements for Civil Arrests?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Are these agreements for Civil Arrests?

:shrug:

IANAL.

I only know that an arrest warrant that has to be served in a given State is a worthless tool to compel the fleebaggers to attend a Legislative Session.  They probably are not in the State.
I will NOT comply.