Author Topic: Small talk: Political flip  (Read 632 times)

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Small talk: Political flip
« on: August 11, 2021, 02:11:36 pm »
How do you identify politically? Were you ever aligned with the other side? If you have changed your political convictions, what was instrumental in that change? Did you have an epiphany? Did your life circumstances change? Did your values change? What are the chances you'll ever return to your original political stance?

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Small talk: Political flip
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 02:46:03 pm »
How do you identify politically?

Both FisCon and SoCon.

Were you ever aligned with the other side?

Yes.  My parents were FDR Democrats.  They swore to their graves that he was the greatest thing since sliced bread and saved the world.  I was a registered Rat and voted that way the first couple of elections back in the 70's.

If you have changed your political convictions, what was instrumental in that change? Did you have an epiphany? Did your life circumstances change? Did your values change?

I always was conservative in my private life.  I grew up hearing the political promises, and when I asked how they intended to fulfill those promises, I decided that Democrats are shysters that will promise the world and deliver nothing. That was my epiphany. That was years before my life's circumstances changed when I became a parent and started looking to the next generation.  My values never changed, only my perceptions of who was aligned with them.

What are the chances you'll ever return to your original political stance?

Zero. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 03:01:54 pm »
How do you identify politically?

Staunchly conservative across the board. (Please note that I did not say Republican.  They are NOT the same.)

Were you ever aligned with the other side?

Attended my last Democrat political event in 1972.  Never going back.

If you have changed your political convictions, what was instrumental in that change?

I my political beliefs have never changed to any appreciable degree and likely never will. (In my early years all political action in my state (Texas) was between conservative and liberal democrats. Now the democrat party might as well change its name to the Communist party, and I will not be a part of that.

Did you have an epiphany? Did your life circumstances change? Did your values change? What are the chances you'll ever return to your original political stance?

The only epiphany I have had is in finally having it beaten into my thick skull that Republican does not equal conservative and never has.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 03:09:16 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 03:05:22 pm »
Staunchly conservative across the board. (Please note that I did not say Republican.  They are NOT the same.)

Attended my last Democrat political event in 1972.  Never going back.

I my political beliefs have never changed to any appreciable degree and likely never will.

The only epiphany I have had is in finally having it beaten into my thick skull that Republican does not equal conservative and never has.

And this is why you are my Barometer and Compass.   888high58888
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 03:11:07 pm »
And this is why you are my Barometer and Compass.   888high58888

Thank you, Sir! I will endeavor to never let you down.   :beer:

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 03:16:06 pm »
I was always on the right. When I was four mom hid me in the back of our station wagon to catch the person who kept tearing our Goldwater stickers off the bumper.

Got myself thrown out of Jr High social circles 'cause I was the only guy defending Richard Nixon. Wore a suit and tie to work all eight years of the Reagan administration.

Today, after 5 decades of betrayal, I utterly despise the Republican party.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 03:21:39 pm »
I was always on the right. When I was four mom hid me in the back of our station wagon to catch the person who kept tearing our Goldwater stickers off the bumper.

Got myself thrown out of Jr High social circles 'cause I was the only guy defending Richard Nixon. Wore a suit and tie to work all eight years of the Reagan administration.

And who can blame you? 

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 03:23:02 pm »
Thank you, Sir! I will endeavor to never let you down.   :beer:

The only difference is I'm still at that stage that I want to give fixing it a try before I leave the Party.  After moving to a "rural" County that's one of the reddest in the nation, I found it easy to get myself elected First Vice Chair of the County, and my Missus got elected to our District Director, which is a third of the County.  Her job is much more difficult than mine.  We're presently on a drive to appoint more Precinct Committeemen to fill the ranks.  We're running out of vacancies.

I get to meet and speak at length with the office-holders because of my position.  Last weekend was a blast!  We had our 77th annual Mohave County GOP Picnic, and our room at the lodge was next to Sonny Borrelli's and our long-time friend who's a County Supervisor.  At the Picnic, I had a chance to chew the fat with Paul Gosar and the candidates for Governor, AG and Secretary of State. 

:beer: :beer: :beer:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 03:25:04 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2021, 03:40:14 pm »
The only difference is I'm still at that stage that I want to give fixing it a try before I leave the Party.  After moving to a "rural" County that's one of the reddest in the nation, I found it easy to get myself elected First Vice Chair of the County, and my Missus got elected to our District Director, which is a third of the County.  Her job is much more difficult than mine.  We're presently on a drive to appoint more Precinct Committeemen to fill the ranks.  We're running out of vacancies.

I get to meet and speak at length with the office-holders because of my position.  Last weekend was a blast!  We had our 77th annual Mohave County GOP Picnic, and our room at the lodge was next to Sonny Borrelli's and our long-time friend who's a County Supervisor.  At the Picnic, I had a chance to chew the fat with Paul Gosar and the candidates for Governor, AG and Secretary of State. 

:beer: :beer: :beer:

I very much appreciate what you and @Slip18 are doing. (I very much wanted to say "Been there, done that" but resisted the urge.  LOL!) 

I very likely will continue to vote only in republican primaries but my mission now is to convince people that they should not necessarily vote for the person who can spend the most $$$ in those races. (Most often there is a reason that guy has all that money, and it isn't because he represents you.)

My own $$$ will go only to candidates I personally chose.  None will go to any party apparatus.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 03:48:13 pm »
I very much appreciate what you and @Slip18 are doing. (I very much wanted to say "Been there, done that" but resisted the urge.  LOL!) 

I very likely will continue to vote only in republican primaries but my mission now is to convince people that they should not necessarily vote for the person who can spend the most $$$ in those races. (Most often there is a reason that guy has all that money, and it isn't because he represents you.)

My own $$$ will go only to candidates I personally chose.  None will go to any party apparatus.

I didn't either, until I hooked up with the GOP in my new County.  I'll still never give cash to either the RNC, or even the AZ GOP (and I'm a Member of their Executive Committee).
I will NOT comply.

Offline Millee

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2021, 03:56:37 pm »

And they've earned that scorn.

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2021, 12:17:49 pm »
Try the left for a week or a month. Join, attend meetings and report back.

It would seem that identifying liars early would be a better alternative.
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 03:38:54 pm »
How do you identify politically? Were you ever aligned with the other side? If you have changed your political convictions, what was instrumental in that change? Did you have an epiphany? Did your life circumstances change? Did your values change? What are the chances you'll ever return to your original political stance?

Reagan Republican then now and forever.  And nothing will ever get me to change that.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2021, 03:56:28 pm »
I have been a Republican since my first time voting, for the re-election of Nixon in 72. And I'm constantly hounded, as I always vote, no mater if its for the school board, or a runoff for dog catcher.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2021, 04:08:22 pm »
NOPE. No flip. I have been a Conservative all my life, because that is what bears fruit.

I DESPISE big government, and always will. But I don't want to do anarchy. That pretty well only leaves one slot.

Republican vs. Democrat is the wrong argument - They are two sides of the same coin.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2021, 01:01:02 am »
I'm a proud registered independent—meaning my political positions don't change because those of the political parties in power change.

I've always considered myself conservative, especially on the fiscal side. I grew up—well, I won't say poor, but definitely working-class—and when you live in a big-government state, everyone gets the shaft. There were a few instances in my childhood where I developed a very strong distrust of Big Government and the importance of managing scarce resources (something Big Government has no grasp of). Nothing I've seen in the subsequent decades has convinced me that I'm wrong. Socially, a lot of my stances are driven by being a Christian, my distrust of government, and being what a lot of people today pejoratively call an "incel" in that I have been unable to find a female partner. I'm not going to go through my full manifesto here, though. I consider myself thankful that I lived in a time where I wasn't compelled to go to war.

My general opinion on political parties is that the Democrats are corrupt, the Republicans are incompetent, and Libertarians are clueless as to how to win elections. I believe the Constitution's text is firm and concrete.

My political positions have largely been the same ever since I, slowly, became politically aware as a teenager.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online libertybele

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2021, 01:24:43 am »
Embarrassingly the first time I voted in my life, I voted for Carter. I have never voted DEM since.

I became involved in politics during 'W's campaign and also fought strongly at the time against illegal immigration. It was during 'W's second term that I realized he wasn't as conservative as I had thought and became determined NOT to vote for a candidate just because they have an 'R' next to their name.

I could not bring myself to vote for McCain so I voted IND.

I have been very distraught over the past election and especially over the actions of our SCOTUS.  I decided that I didn't want to be affiliated with the GOP, and of course not the DEMS, so I no longer have any political affiliation.

I consider myself a conservative period.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.