Author Topic: Texas judge temporarily blocks arrests of lawmakers who fled state over elections bill  (Read 413 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Texas judge temporarily blocks arrests of lawmakers who fled state over elections bill
By Olafimihan Oshin - 08/09/21 01:39 PM EDT

A Travis County, Texas judge has temporarily blocked the arrests of the Democratic lawmakers who fled the state to prevent the passage of an elections reform bill, the Austin American-Statesman reported on Monday.

District Judge Brad Urrutia on Sunday signed the temporary restraining order, blocking attempts from Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) and state House Speaker Dade Phelan (R) from restricting, detaining or confining the lawmakers, paving the way for them to safely return to the state.

The move had been requested Friday by 22 members of the state House, the American-Statesman reported.

The order applies to the state’s House sergeant-at-arms, the Texas Department of Public Safety (TDPS), Capitol Police and other law enforcement agencies.

“Angry Republican threats to dispatch troopers to arrest, cuff, shackle, drag in, and cabin duly-elected lawmakers isn’t just meant to chill our speech and impair our ability to represent our districts; it has left our families, friends, and neighbors anxious for our wellbeing and safety,” state Rep. Gina Hinojosa (D) said in a written statement.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/566998-texas-judge-temporarily-blocks-arrests-of-lawmakers-who-fled-state-over
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Liberal judge, I presume?

Offline dfwgator

Is there any other kind?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
It just seems like the Dems can find some freaking judge to rule the way they want anymore.

The judicial branch has zero jurisdiction here, and it's codified in the law.

The Republic is lost.

Offline berdie

I will be interested to see what, if anything happens, the these yahoos when they come back...if they stay away from Austin and go about their daily lives. You know, jobs/businesses and getting kids in school.

I'm pretty annoyed. The Tx Constitution needs to be amended in some way to prevent this.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

It's Austin. 'Nuff said.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I will be interested to see what, if anything happens, the these yahoos when they come back...if they stay away from Austin and go about their daily lives. You know, jobs/businesses and getting kids in school.

I'm pretty annoyed. The Tx Constitution needs to be amended in some way to prevent this.

What would be nice is if the Governor or the House Speaker could declare after 30 days those seats "vacated" and hold special elections to replace the House members who fled to DC.

Even just the threat of doing that would send them back to Austin faster than free weed in Hippie Hollow.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
One good thing is that the per the interwebs, the legislature meets every other year, so the GOP has time on their side.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Pretty sure that a district judge doesn't have the authority to do this. I wonder what the law is regarding the ability to impeach and remove a district judge?
Let it burn.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Outside of Travis County, "Urrutia " is considered some sort of bladder infection.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

Pretty sure that a district judge doesn't have the authority to do this. I wonder what the law is regarding the ability to impeach and remove a district judge?
”Ruling duly noted and ignored. But thanks for your interest.”

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
”Ruling duly noted and ignored. But thanks for your interest.”

Yes, but actually holding some of these outlaw judges accountable and removing them from office might cause one of them to think twice before issuing rulings like this in the future.
Let it burn.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
berdie wote:
"I will be interested to see what, if anything happens, the these yahoos when they come back..."

NOTHING will happen to them.
And as soon as Abbott calls for another special session, they'll be gone again...