Author Topic: Navy, Marines May Reinstate Promotion Board Photos After Removal Impacted Diversity  (Read 124 times)

rangerrebew

Navy, Marines May Reinstate Promotion Board Photos After Removal Impacted Diversity
Mil & Intel   

By Hannah Ray Lambert | August 05, 2021

The Navy and Marine Corps could reinstate service photos in promotion and selection boards after the removal of photos adversely impacted diversity goals — the opposite of the Defense Department’s intent when it barred the use of photos in promotion boards last year.

In July 2020, then-Defense Secretary Mark Esper issued several changes aimed at improving diversity and inclusion, including directing all military branches to remove photographs from consideration by promotion boards and selection processes to “ensure equal opportunity for all.”

Diversity of enlisted leaders and officers dropped after the removal of photos, Navy Vice Adm. John Nowell Jr. said Tuesday at the Navy League’s 2021 Sea-Air-Space Exposition.

https://coffeeordie.com/military-promotion-boards-diversity/

Offline Kamaji

Hmmm, in other words, without the photographs, promotions were more likely to go based on merit, and not on irrelevancies, like skin color.

So now, the government will be intentionally engaging in discriminatory conduct for political purposes.  Go figure.

rangerrebew

As I remember it, this no picture business was started as a PC diversity solution.  With no picture, someone couldn't be rejected by their skin color alone.  It appears to me what they got was smacked by the reality many people of color simply aren't good candidates for promotion, or at least not as many as they thought.  So now they want to go back and promote based on skin color alone which will make for, at best, a mediocre military or a defeated military. :pondering: :pondering:

Offline Kamaji

As I remember it, this no picture business was started as a PC diversity solution.  With no picture, someone couldn't be rejected by their skin color alone.  It appears to me what they got was smacked by the reality many people of color simply aren't good candidates for promotion, or at least not as many as they thought.  So now they want to go back and promote based on skin color alone which will make for, at best, a mediocre military or a defeated military. :pondering: :pondering:

Exactly.