Author Topic: U.S. Senate advances infrastructure bill, inches slowly toward passage  (Read 94 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Reuters by David Morgan Makini Brice 8/7/2021

The U.S. Senate voted to advance a $1 trillion infrastructure package on Saturday but remained on a slow path toward passage with two Republicans openly opposing behind-the-scenes efforts to wrap up work on one of President Joe Biden's top priorities.

In a 67-27 vote demonstrating broad support, senators agreed to limit debate on the legislation, which represents the biggest investment in decades in America's roads, bridges, airports and waterways.

Eighteen of the Senate's 50 Republicans voted to move forward on the legislation, with Senators John Cornyn and Deb Fischer backing the package for the first time.

Lawmakers were working behind closed doors to reach an agreement on amendments that could allow the Senate to complete its work on the legislation as early as Saturday night.

Republican Senator Bill Hagerty took to the Senate floor to underscore his opposition to expediting the process, saying the legislation would add to the national debt and set the stage for Democrats to move forward with a separate $3.5 trillion spending package to which Republicans are vehemently opposed.

More: https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-senate-meets-saturday-consider-1-trillion-infrastructure-bill-2021-08-07/

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: U.S. Senate advances infrastructure bill, inches slowly toward passage
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 08:33:27 pm »
So, it will eventually pass. But I couldn't help but notice when I read the article, the idiotic statement made by China Joe:

"We can't afford not to do it," the president said. "We can't just build back to the way things were before COVID-19, we have to build back better."

So .... another COVID excuse??                   
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.