Author Topic: Wealthy Americans Are Renouncing Citizenship In Record Numbers  (Read 817 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Wealthy Americans Are Renouncing Citizenship In Record Numbers

Varun Hukeri
General Assignment & Analysis Reporter
August 05, 2021 12:12 PM ET

The number of Americans who renounced their citizenship hit a record high in 2020 and has continued to increase in 2021.

Andrew Mitchel, an international tax attorney who tracks the numbers, found there were 6,707 individuals who renounced their U.S. citizenship in favor of a foreign country in 2020, Axios first reported Thursday. That number is a 237% increase compared to 2019 and considerably higher than any year dating back to 1998.

The latest figures this year, compiled by an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) quarterly registry, found there were 734 individuals who renounced their U.S. citizenship in the second quarter of 2021. That number is a roughly 200% increase compared to the first quarter.

Individuals who renounce their U.S. citizenship tend to be wealthy and are often aiming to reduce their tax burden, according to Axios. Ashkan Yekrangi, an immigration attorney, told the outlet “the bulk of cases are individuals trying to avoid tax liability.”

The IRS list of people who have renounced their citizenship or permanent residency, for example, only includes people with global financial assets of more than $2 million.

more
https://dailycaller.com/2021/08/05/wealth-americans-renounce-citizenship-record-numbers/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online cato potatoe

Re: Wealthy Americans Are Renouncing Citizenship In Record Numbers
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 08:45:38 pm »
I am not surprised by the backlog of 25,000 applicants.  For many wealthy taxpayers, it's worth paying the 23.8% tax on gains under current law, rather than subject them to future confiscation. 

Offline berdie

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 09:29:42 pm »
I can't, in my wildest dreams, imagine renouncing my American citizenship...even if I were as rich as Midas.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 02:04:31 am »
I can't, in my wildest dreams, imagine renouncing my American citizenship...even if I were as rich as Midas.
Well it's not as bad as you think, they're probably democrats who figure they can and will still vote.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 02:09:36 am »
If I were independently wealthy, I'd be out of here in a heartbeat.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 03:45:57 am »
Well it's not as bad as you think, they're probably democrats who figure they can and will still vote.

AND...they need to leave AMERICA.  They have forfeited any RIGHT...as an American. 

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 04:59:25 pm »
Why?

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 05:04:58 pm »
Why?

Because I'm sick and tired of the bullshit, and I don't really want to spend my retirement years getting swirled around the toilet bowl while this country hits bottom - I'll be dead by the time we start to finally recover from the left-wing nonsense that's being foisted on us know.  It's going to get a whole lot uglier before it starts to get better.  And those with some middling amount of wealth will be the hardest hit.  Think Argentina under the Kirchners, but on steroids.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2021, 05:10:02 pm »
Why?

It's not a new thing by any means but it is accelerating. I strongly suggest the following for your reading pleasure:

http://www.actionamerica.org/taxecon/ticktick.shtml
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2021, 05:57:54 pm »

Freedom can be enjoyed on foreign shores.  It won't be like America was, but it will beat what America is transitioning into.
According to Heritage, we have fallen to 20th in freedom, nearly identical to Sweden.  My choice would be Switzerland (although learning a foreign language at middle age would be rough), followed by Australia, New Zealand, and Ireland.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2021, 06:30:11 pm »

Where would you go?  WE.....ARE.....IT!   

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2021, 06:31:16 pm »
Freedom can be enjoyed on foreign shores.  It won't be like America was, but it will beat what America is transitioning into.
According to Heritage, we have fallen to 20th in freedom, nearly identical to Sweden.  My choice would be Switzerland (although learning a foreign language at middle age would be rough), followed by Australia, New Zealand, and Ireland.

Exactly.  I wouldn't be too worried about the language barrier in Switzerland; plenty of Swiss speak pretty decent English; it would make transitioning to German, Italian, or French (whichever suits where one moves to) easier.

I, personally, would also consider Uruguay.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2021, 06:31:44 pm »
Where would you go?  WE.....ARE.....IT!   

Not really.  Uruguay is one option.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2021, 06:32:44 pm »

They speak all kind of languages in the Sweitz. English.  Our tour guide spoke 7 languages.  I had to listen to the same stuff in 2 languages, I understood.  lol 

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2021, 07:29:45 pm »

What if same country was confiscating all your wealth?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2021, 07:38:31 pm »
I am not surprised by the backlog of 25,000 applicants.  For many wealthy taxpayers, it's worth paying the 23.8% tax on gains under current law, rather than subject them to future confiscation.
Exactly right. The wealthy are being advised by their financial managers that a wealth tax is coming, along with property and asset confiscation. They are simply leaving for more politically and finacially stable societies which respect their police and do not have rampant violent crime in the streets.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline art.prout

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2021, 08:14:17 pm »
Hungary is looking good.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2021, 08:53:40 pm »
Hungary is looking good.

Watched Tucker Carlson this last week, haven't you?   :cool:
If forced (aka 401K confiscation), I've had my eye on Australia or NZ. Gun laws suck though.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 08:55:45 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline berdie

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2021, 09:29:35 pm »

What if same country was confiscating all your wealth?

I think most foreign countries do the same in various ways.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2021, 09:59:43 pm »

888high58888

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2021, 12:15:34 am »
Hungary is looking good.
Hungary allows dual citizenship so being the child of two Hungarian citizens I could become a Hungarian citizen without jumping through the normal hoops. Of course I have no wealth to speak of so no reason to run.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2021, 12:39:44 am »
AND...they need to leave AMERICA.  They have forfeited any RIGHT...as an American.

@LegalAmerican

So what? American is full of people who aren't American citizens,and the Dims and RINO's are importing more with every day that passes.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2021, 12:42:24 am »
Watched Tucker Carlson this last week, haven't you?   :cool:
If forced (aka 401K confiscation), I've had my eye on Australia or NZ. Gun laws suck though.

@catfish1957

BAD choices. The Chinese have their eyes on all of Asia,including the round-eye parts,and there is literally no one to stop them.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2021, 12:43:22 am »

@berdie

Not true. Most foreign countries only hammer the working classes,and leave the wealthy alone.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2021, 01:31:01 am »
@catfish1957

BAD choices. The Chinese have their eyes on all of Asia,including the round-eye parts,and there is literally no one to stop them.

Not if they decide to confiscate (steal) 401 k's. I'll take my chances.