Author Topic: GOP Lawmaker Files Bill to Prevent Lawmakers From Abandoning Their Responsibilities  (Read 282 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Scorecard by Jeramy Kitchen August 4, 2021

The bill would set a limit to the amount of unexcused absences a lawmaker can have before their seat is declared vacant.

The first called special legislative session will reach its forced conclusion on Friday, August 6. The Texas House of Representatives has been paralyzed and unable to conduct legislative business for the better part of three weeks due to a lack of quorum, and as such, the special session will likely end without the passage of any of the items on Gov. Greg Abbott’s agenda.

In response, State Rep. Mayes Middleton (R–Galveston) introduced a bill on Wednesday that seeks to define a legislative vacancy as 14 consecutive days of unexcused absences from the chamber in which the member holds office.

“If you repeatedly don’t show up for work, you are fired from your job. Our offices should be no different. Excessive, unexcused absences are certainly a violation of each member’s oath of office and a refusal to do the job the member is elected to do,” said Middleton.

Thus far, no penalties have been exacted on absent lawmakers, something that has caused debate within the membership of those lawmakers present since most of their Democrat colleagues left Austin for places like Washington, D.C., to avoid the consideration of bills on Abbott’s agenda.

In fact, one lawmaker came back to Austin only to return to Washington, D.C., a few days later after receiving permission to do so from House Speaker Dade Phelan.

Another lawmaker indicated that he couldn’t afford to be away from work and stayed in Texas but away from the Capitol.

More: https://texasscorecard.com/state/__trashed-10/

Offline berdie

I like it!  But how could it be passed w/o a quorum?

I just read that Abbott called for a second special session starting Saturday.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The Dims outwitted themselves as prolonging the legislature has given the Senate lots of time to keep signing off on many conservative bills that ultimately will be approved in the House.

Too bad, Dims.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

This should be a Constitutional Amendment to be voted on by the citizens, not a bill.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
This should be a Constitutional Amendment to be voted on by the citizens, not a bill.

:yowsa:  :amen:

I just sent my state senator Schwertner a message that reads:

Senator it is now abundantly clear to me that we need to amend the Texas Constitution if we are ever to stop the Democrats from running away every time something they don't like finds its way into the legislative process and since the Governor has added this to the call for a second special session, there will never be a better time. There is still ample time to get it on the November general election ballot for approval.

I would suggest amending Article 3, Section 10 to read:

Sec. 10. QUORUM; ADJOURNMENTS FROM DAY TO DAY; COMPELLING ATTENDANCE. Two-thirds of each House shall constitute a quorum to do business, but a smaller number may adjourn from day to day, and compel the attendance of absent members, in such manner and under such penalties as each House may provide.

Any legislator absenting himself from legislative business for seven consecutive days without excuse shall be deemed to have abandoned his seat and that seat immediately becomes vacant.

I would hope all Texans would consider sending their state senator something similar ASAP.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 03:06:07 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien