Author Topic: EXCLUSIVE: Austin Star Police Detective Accuses DA Jose Garza's Office of Criminal Witness Tampering  (Read 341 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

EXCLUSIVE: Austin Star Police Detective Accuses DA Jose Garza's Office of Criminal Witness Tampering in High-Profile Case

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/bryan-preston/2021/08/04/exclusive-austin-star-police-detective-accuses-da-jose-garzas-office-of-criminal-witness-tampering-in-high-profile-case-n1466886

Austin Police Department homicide Detective David Fugitt is a well-regarded veteran with APD a... . APD tends to place its most difficult cases under Fugitt due to his sterling record. Most recently, Fugitt has been the lead detective on the case of a shooting that happened in downtown Austin, Texas, in the summer of 2020.

On the night of July 25, 2020, a group of protesters illegally took over an intersection in downtown Austin. They approached a car as it was trying to make its way past the crowd through the intersection. One of the protesters, Garrett Foster, was carrying a loaded AK-47 rifle. As Foster approached the car in the darkness that night, apparently pointing the rifle at the driver, the driver, Army Sgt. Daniel Perry, fired his handgun in Foster’s direction from his car. Foster was killed. ... Perry was later stopped by Austin police and questioned about the shooting. He reportedly told the officers he fired in self-defense as Foster approached with his rifle pointed at him, as photos taken at the scene indicate. ...
Jose Garza was elected Travis County district attorney in the 2020 elections on a platform of prosecuting police officers. After coming into office, he reviewed Perry’s case and indicted him on a murder charge. The indictment came as a surprise, given the known facts of the case and Texas castle law.
Now, the lead detective in the Perry case is accusing District Attorney Garza of witness tampering in order to obtain the indictment. ... He has filed an affidavit in the case that clearly and unequivocally points the finger at Garza.

In the affidavit, which PJ Media has obtained, Detective Fugitt says:

Prior to the grand jury presentation in this case, I had several conversations with the District Attorney’s Office regarding the presentation of exculpatory evidence related to Daniel Perry. It became clear to me that the District Attorney’s Office did not want to present evidence to the grand jury that would be exculpatory to Daniel Perry and/or to show that witness statements obtained by the family of Garrett Foster and/or their attorneys were inconsistent with prior interviews such “witnesses” gave the police and/or the video of the incident in question. I had also wanted to present previous statements from the Complainant in Count 2 where she never once suggested that Daniel Perry intentionally and knowingly threatened her with imminent bodily injury by driving a motor vehicle in her direction. The District Attorney’s Office also made me remove an animation from Daniel Perry’s driving the night of the incident coordinated with his cell phone records that would have refuted the deadly conduct charge ultimately returned by the grand jury.
On more than one occasion I was directed by the Travis County Attorney’s Office to remove exculpatory information that I had intended to present to the grand jury during my testimony. ...
“I am familiar with the crime of witness tampering as set out in the Texas Penal Code and under the circumstances believe myself to be a victim of such tampering,” he said. “Furthermore, in coordination with my direct chain of command, I sought legal advice from Chris Coppola, Assistant City Attorney.”
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 08:59:40 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Garza is a well known POS in the Travis county area.

I hope he hangs.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I hope he hangs.
I'd be satisfied with just a good ole-fashioned beheading.  Or draw and quartering?  Or maybe drowned in his own urine?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline PeteS in CA

Texas Rangers May Be Investigating Witness Tampering Allegation Against Travis County's DA in Austin Protest Shooting Case

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/bryan-preston/2021/08/05/texas-rangers-may-be-investigating-witness-tampering-allegation-against-travis-countys-da-in-austin-protest-shooting-case-n1467194

On Wednesday, after PJ Media exclusively reported that Austin police detective David Fugitt accused Travis County District Attorney Jose Garza’s office of felony witness tampering in the Sgt. Daniel Perry case, a hearing was held in the 147th Criminal District Court. Fugitt made the allegation in a sworn affidavit. Sgt. Perry’s defense attorneys filed a motion to hold a hearing on Garza’s conduct as alleged in Fugitt’s affidavit. In that filing, Perry’s defense attorneys say Det. Fugitt found that Perry shot Foster on the night of July 25, 2020, in self-defense and that Foster “was a criminal killed in commission of a crime.” District Attorney Garza nevertheless took the case to an Austin grand jury, which indicted Perry.

Perry is an Army sergeant serving at Ft. Hood. Austin is a Democrat stronghold.

Judge Clifford Brown presided over that hearing in his 147th Court on Wednesday.

As several local media outlets reported, Judge Brown denied Perry’s motion for a hearing on Garza’s alleged conduct. That’s true. What they failed to report was that his motion was denied “without prejudice” pending the results of an ongoing investigation being conducted by the Texas Rangers.

The Texas Rangers now handle public integrity investigations in Texas. Such investigations once fell under the authority of the Travis County District Attorney’s office itself, but a series of politicized prosecutions including those of then-Gov. Rick Perry, then-Sen. Kay Baily Hutchison, and then-Rep. Tom DeLay, all Republicans, led the legislature to change the law and move public integrity prosecutions away from the office, which has long been controlled by partisan Democrats, to the impartial Texas Rangers, the state’s top law enforcement agency. ...
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

I hope he hangs.
Suppression of Brady Material is a crime, IIRC. Prosecute him.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

EXCLUSIVE: Travis County DA Garza, Austin Acting Police Chief Accused of Retaliation in High-Profile Shooting Case

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/bryan-preston/2021/09/10/exclusive-travis-county-da-garza-austin-acting-police-chief-accused-of-retaliation-in-high-profile-shooting-case-n1477580

Retaliation. Witness tampering. Felony criminal conduct.

These charges are being aimed at the man Travis County, Texas, voters elected to prosecute criminals in November 2020. And the charges stem from one of José Garza’s highest-profile and most controversial cases.

On the night of July 25, 2020, a group of protesters illegally took over an intersection in downtown Austin. They approached a car as it was trying to make its way past the crowd through the intersection. One of the protesters, Garrett Foster, was carrying a loaded AK-47 rifle. As Foster approached the car in the darkness that night, apparently pointing the rifle at the driver, the driver, Army Sgt. Daniel Perry, fired his handgun in Foster’s direction from his car. Foster was killed. At least one other protester fired at Perry as he drove away. Perry was later stopped by Austin police and questioned about the shooting. He reportedly told the officers he fired in self-defense as Foster approached with his rifle pointed at him, as photos taken at the scene indicate. ...

Austin Police Detective David Fugitt investigated the shooting and, according to the affidavit, found that Perry shot Foster self-defense and should not face charges.

According to new court documents filed in the case this week, Garza ordered Det. Fugitt to change his testimony before the grand jury, so that Perry would not be exonerated. This led to retaliation against the detective.
When Fugitt refused and stood by his finding of justified homicide, Garza retaliated. That retaliation implicates Austin PD acting Police Chief Joseph Chacon and Assistant Chief Ricardo Guajardo, according to the filing and several others in the case which PJ Media has obtained.

Offline EdinVA

I'd be satisfied with just a good ole-fashioned beheading.  Or draw and quartering?  Or maybe drowned in his own urine?

Are those to be done serially or all at once....  888high58888

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Detective David Fugitt

Seriously??????
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!