Author Topic: Manchin 'can't imagine' supporting change to filibuster for voting rights  (Read 116 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Manchin 'can't imagine' supporting change to filibuster for voting rights
By Mychael Schnell - 08/01/21 10:17 AM EDT

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) said on Sunday said “can’t imagine” supporting a carve-out to filibuster rules to help pass voting rights legislation.

Manchin was asked a direct question about whether he could imagine supporting such a carve our during an appearance Sunay on CNN's "State of the Union."

“I can’t imagine a carve-out,” Manchin responded.

He noted that in 2013, a Democratic-majority backed a carve-out to the filibuster so that Cabinet appointees for President Obama could be confirmed. That led to more carve-outs, including for the Supreme Court.

“I was here in 2013 when it was called a carve-out, we're just going to do the cabinet for the President, and then it went into we're going to do the judges who are lifetime appointments for circuit and district," he said.

"They really want to do Supreme Court, but they didn't at that time the Democrats were in control. 2017, Mitch McConnell’s in control, comes right back in and guess what, that carve out worked to really carve us up pretty bad. Then you got the Supreme Court, okay, so there's no stopping it,” Manchin said.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/565825-manchin-cant-imagine-supporting-change-to-filibuster-for-voting
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

Sounds like Manchin is getting closer to caving.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Sounds like Manchin is getting closer to caving.

Yes, it does to me too.  Problem is, all pols talk like that.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Yes, it does to me too.  Problem is, all pols talk like that.

Both sides of their mouths and their ass too.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Both sides of their mouths and their ass too.

The voices are different but the breath's the same.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: