Author Topic: Attorney General sues as Abbott's ban on migrant transports leaves hundreds stranded in Texas  (Read 561 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by Jeremy Blackman, Jasper Scherer 7/31/2021

For weeks, the Stripes gas station on Veterans Boulevard in Del Rio has doubled as a release valve for the country’s straining immigration pipeline. Migrants awaiting court hearings are dropped off by border patrol, often by the dozens each day, and quickly swept onto buses out of town.

On Wednesday, Gov. Greg Abbott effectively shut it down, ordering state troopers to begin pulling over anyone transporting migrants who may be at risk of spreading COVID-19. Officials in Del Rio said it has left hundreds of people stranded with nowhere to go, and that the number will likely grow.

“If they’re not able to be transported out of here, to catch a bus to go on to wherever their destination is, then they end up being stuck in our communities, and that creates a problem for us,” said Val Verde County Commissioner Beau Nettleton, a Republican who has generally welcomed the governor’s border interventions.

In his order, Abbott blamed the Biden administration for failing to turn away more people at the border and said the action would prevent “busloads of migrants” from moving about the state, “an unknown number of whom are infected with COVID-l9.”

Officials in some border counties have complained recently about the sheer number of migrants being released into shelters, citing resurging COVID infections of the highly contagious delta variant. Last week, the city of Laredo sued the Biden administration over the influx.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/Attorney-General-sues-as-Abbott-s-ban-on-16353403.php

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

This is a Biden problem, and Texas wants nothing to do with it.

Maybe we just need to bus them to DC instead?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 02:04:49 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online libertybele

They need to be sent back.  They are here ILLEGALLY!!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
They need to be sent back.  They are here ILLEGALLY!!!

No. They need to be arrested, convicted and put on "Chain Gangs" used to build the Border Fence.

Online libertybele

No. They need to be arrested, convicted and put on "Chain Gangs" used to build the Border Fence.

Good thinking. Once that news got back about what happens to those who were apprehended crossing illegally I think you'd see a huge reduction in illegal immigration.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Good thinking. Once that news got back about what happens to those who were apprehended crossing illegally I think you'd see a huge reduction in illegal immigration.
Only into Texas.

California will absorb as many as it can as it goes for more Dem votes
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Kamaji

Good idea!

Offline AARguy

Massachusetts. New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Mew York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey all need some unskilled, low wage workers that don't speak English and have COVID. Get them there NOW!

Online Hoodat

8 U.S. Code § 1324 - Bringing in and harboring certain aliens

(a)Criminal penalties
(1)
(A)Any person who—

(i)knowing that a person is an alien, brings to or attempts to bring to the United States in any manner whatsoever such person at a place other than a designated port of entry or place other than as designated by the Commissioner, regardless of whether such alien has received prior official authorization to come to, enter, or reside in the United States and regardless of any future official action which may be taken with respect to such alien;

(ii)knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, transports, or moves or attempts to transport or move such alien within the United States by means of transportation or otherwise, in furtherance of such violation of law;

(iii)knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, conceals, harbors, or shields from detection, or attempts to conceal, harbor, or shield from detection, such alien in any place, including any building or any means of transportation;

(iv)encourages or induces an alien to come to, enter, or reside in the United States, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such coming to, entry, or residence is or will be in violation of law; or

(v)
(I)engages in any conspiracy to commit any of the preceding acts, or

(II)aids or abets the commission of any of the preceding acts,

shall be punished as provided in subparagraph (B).
(B)A person who violates subparagraph (A) shall, for each alien in respect to whom such a violation occurs—

(i)in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(i) or (v)(I) or in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(ii), (iii), or (iv) in which the offense was done for the purpose of commercial advantage or private financial gain, be fined under title 18, imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both;

(ii)in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(ii), (iii), (iv), or (v)(II), be fined under title 18, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both;  .  .  .

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1324

Federal law is on Abbott's side.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Hoodat

You could indict half the government on these:
(iv)encourages or induces an alien to come to, enter, or reside in the United States, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such coming to, entry, or residence is or will be in violation of law; or

(v)
(I)engages in any conspiracy to commit any of the preceding acts, or

(II)aids or abets the commission of any of the preceding acts,
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@IsailedawayfromFR

How about bus them back to the border and make them cross it heading south?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!