Author Topic: Simone Biles: Oh, boo hoo  (Read 669 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Simone Biles: Oh, boo hoo
« on: July 30, 2021, 02:11:28 pm »
July 30, 2021
Simone Biles: Oh, boo hoo
By Lynne Lechter

See also: Sympathy for Simone Biles

Having gone 360 on reactions over the walkout of Simone Biles from what was to be another American gymnastic gold-fest and listening to the attendant commentary that followed her petulant walkout, entitled athletes continue to spin.  Call me Mrs. Grinch, as this reaction is not popular with the cool kids, but I’m fed up. What was also galling was the commentary from some fellow gymnasts that no one was owed a gold medal. 

Well then, no one is owed an audience, are they?  Or endorsements?  Or celebrity?  And actually, then, what is the point of competition?

It seems team spirit, character, “never give up” and “just do it,” are so yesterday.  What about jilted teammates in the midst of a competition?   What about the teammate that scored out and left Tokyo broken-hearted?

Sure, athletic competition is stressful.  Especially Olympian competition.  But the rewards derived from Olympian medal - especially gold - are Olympian as well.  Photo on a cereal box - check.  Endorsements from athletic brands - check.  Mingling with stars - check.  Coverage in glossy magazines - check.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2021/07/simone_biles_oh_boo_hoo.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Simone Biles: Oh, boo hoo
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 02:19:34 pm »
A winner never quits. A guitar never wins.  True in sports, work and life.  We have raised several generations of quitars.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 02:25:11 pm »
A winner never quits. A guitar never wins.  True in sports, work and life.  We have raised several generations of quitars.
Why should she run the risk of being beaten when the entire country was already in awe of her skill? She's the best ever, doncha know.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 02:42:04 pm »
Why should she run the risk of being beaten when the entire country was already in awe of her skill? She's the best ever, doncha know.
Even has the GOAT on the back of her uniform to prove it....lol.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 02:44:14 pm »
You are only as good as your last competition.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 02:46:35 pm »
God, just stop talking about her, already.     

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 02:53:33 pm »

That was my first thought, too, until I realized that the one thing she'll forever be remembered...the quitting to take care of her mental health.

Then again, only she knows if she could have duplicated her previous 'best', or may have broken her legs in her attempt.

She said that mentally, she couldn't 'see' past 1-1/2 rotations...let alone 2-1/2.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 02:58:18 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Idiot

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 03:08:53 pm »
Simone Biles reveals dangers of the 'twisties' destroying her Olympics
https://thehill.com/changing-america/enrichment/arts-culture/565600-simone-biles-reveals-dangers-of-the-twisties
Ok....if this is what happened, then she should have let someone else take her position on the team prior to the Olympics.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 03:13:29 pm »
That was my first thought, too, until I realized that the one thing she'll forever be remembered...the quitting to take care of her mental health.

Then again, only she knows if she could have duplicated her previous 'best', or may have broken her legs in her attempt.

She said that mentally, she couldn't 'see' past 1-1/2 rotations...let alone 2-1/2.
The explanation being offered kinda supports my theory - her routine is so awesome she ran the risk of injuring herself. Why not scale it back a bit?

Surely that would've been preferable to quitting and would've been easy for someone of her physical ability.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2021, 09:54:12 pm »
In over sixty years of watching the Olympics I've never seen a case like Biles before. An athlete considered by many to be the greatest of all time at her particular endeavor, gymnastics, and she quits at the highest level of competition because of nerves.
I've never heard of any similar case for any  sport since I started paying attention to sports back in fifties. A player quits at the championship and refuses to play because nerves got the better of him or her.
Have many athletes at the highest level of competition choked like Biles? Certainly, but they went ahead with playing. That's what you do. Unless you're physically unable due to injury, you competed. You tried. You might fail, but you tried. Greg Norman admitted to choking the last 18 holes in losing the '96 Masters. But he did play the final round.
The worst thing anybody could be called in sports more than loser is the term quitter. You just never quit on your teammates...... or your country in Biles case.
Sorry, no sympathy.

Online libertybele

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 10:02:54 pm »
In over sixty years of watching the Olympics I've never seen a case like Biles before. An athlete considered by many to be the greatest of all time at her particular endeavor, gymnastics, and she quits at the highest level of competition because of nerves.
I've never heard of any similar case for any  sport since I started paying attention to sports back in fifties. A player quits at the championship and refuses to play because nerves got the better of him or her.
Have many athletes at the highest level of competition choked like Biles? Certainly, but they went ahead with playing. That's what you do. Unless you're physically unable due to injury, you competed. You tried. You might fail, but you tried. Greg Norman admitted to choking the last 18 holes in losing the '96 Masters. But he did play the final round.
The worst thing anybody could be called in sports more than loser is the term quitter. You just never quit on your teammates...... or your country in Biles case.
Sorry, no sympathy.

She's competed numerous times for years and yet she quits the Olympics because of nerves?  I'm finding that difficult to believe.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2021, 10:20:50 pm »
Simone Biles reveals dangers of the 'twisties' destroying her Olympics
https://thehill.com/changing-america/enrichment/arts-culture/565600-simone-biles-reveals-dangers-of-the-twisties

If she needed to withdraw from competition because she suddenly lost her sense of body position and timing during her routines, making her routines too dangerous to perform, she should have said that. I suspect the majority of people would respect an apologetic withdrawal due to sudden and unforeseen health and safety issues.

The problem is that's not what she said, and there has not been a hint of accountability to teammates, sponsors, the USOC, or the country, much less of apology to anyone.  Instead it was for "mental health", and on cue the woke brigades broke into lock-step hymns of praise precisely *because* there was no hint of accountability from a famous young black woman.
James 1:20

Offline skeeter

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2021, 10:21:46 pm »
She's competed numerous times for years and yet she quits the Olympics because of nerves?  I'm finding that difficult to believe.
it’s a new phenomena because this generation is unlike any other, IMO. And within it protected classes are even more unique. Entitled, egotistical, angry, fragile. She is simply a very public example.

And we prolly are talking about her too much.

Online libertybele

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2021, 10:27:29 pm »
If she needed to withdraw from competition because she suddenly lost her sense of body position and timing during her routines, making her routines too dangerous to perform, she should have said that. I suspect the majority of people would respect an apologetic withdrawal due to sudden and unforeseen health and safety issues.

The problem is that's not what she said, and there has not been a hint of accountability to teammates, sponsors, the USOC, or the country, much less of apology to anyone. Instead it was for "mental health", and on cue the woke brigades broke into lock-step hymns of praise precisely *because* there was no hint of accountability from a famous young black woman.

Likely possibility.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2021, 10:51:12 pm »
The explanation being offered kinda supports my theory - her routine is so awesome she ran the risk of injuring herself. Why not scale it back a bit?
Surely that would've been preferable to quitting and would've been easy for someone of her physical ability.
Exactly.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2021, 11:03:07 pm »
And now a brief intermission for the Olympic Gold Medal winner - Sunisa Lee, Outstanding American

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2021, 11:05:25 pm »
Yes!! Congrats to this stellar young lady!
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online mountaineer

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2021, 11:34:26 pm »
Good for her.  :beer:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online libertybele

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2021, 12:13:21 am »
And now a brief intermission for the Olympic Gold Medal winner - Sunisa Lee, Outstanding American

Yay!!!!   :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2021, 12:27:15 am »
it’s a new phenomena because this generation is unlike any other, IMO. And within it protected classes are even more unique. Entitled, egotistical, angry, fragile. She is simply a very public example.

And we prolly are talking about her too much.

I say done on purpose.  Sabotage.